ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: Linux Lite - viable 1st Linux alternative for XP and Vista users

<< < (4/4)

40hz:
UPDATE: Version 2.0 is now finalized. From the announcement:

Release Announcement

Linux Lite 2.0 Codename 'Beryl' is now available for download.

This build is the work of 4 months of constant development and the implementation of the best ideas from the team and the wider community. This also marks the beginning of our own repositories for our custom software so that changes and improvements to the operating system can be offered regularly. Now Lite User Manager, Lite Manual, Lite Software ( Install Additional Software and Remove Additional Software) and Lite Fix can evolve more easily to meet the needs of the user.

In this release we wanted to combine the newest versions of well established and supported software like LibreOffice, VLC, Wine and Gimp so that people have access to the latest features in those programs. In Linux Lite 2.0 you get the carefully crafted combination of current software in certain programs on top of a stable operating system. We think this is the happy medium people are looking for between long term support whilst also having 'the newest stuff'. <more>
--- End quote ---

Full release announcement with screenshots here.

zridling:
Love their choices of software. Well worth recommending to friends.

Stoic Joker:
Okay, so I have LL2.0 x86 running in a Hyper-V VM on Windows 8.1, and have installed all the updates. So Far, so good ... But two things are bugging me:
  1. How do I get rid of the Floppy Disk icon on the desktop.
  2. What are my chances of getting the sound working? The system seems to think it is playing sounds. Youtube video made virtual audio level meter bounce ... But no (noise comes out) sound can be heard.

40hz:
1. How do I get rid of the Floppy Disk icon on the desktop.
-Stoic Joker (June 05, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

in the desktop setting cpanel deselect 'show mounted volumes' should remove it unless the Hyper-V does something weird that confuses LL.

2. What are my chances of getting the sound working? The system seems to think it is playing sounds. Youtube video made virtual audio level meter bounce ... But no (noise comes out) sound can be heard.
-Stoic Joker (June 05, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Chances should be pretty good. Check sound and make sure nothing is muted. (Which I'm guessing you probably already have.)

If still problematic, the Pulse Audio Volume Control will give you full control of your playback streams and available devices. Check the playback, output devices and configuration panels. The help manual has a section on sound configuration too.

FWIW I really dislike PulseAudio. I much preferred using ALSA for sound. >:(

If none of the above get it to work, it's likely something with Hyper-V and your real hardware. Or LL getting confused about what Hyper-V is telling it.

Does sound work booting off a DVD or flash drive? That would help identify where the problem is occurring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version