topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DC/Indie/coder/startup house/condo/etc  (Read 8352 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
DC/Indie/coder/startup house/condo/etc
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I know I've said this half jokingly before, but in all seriousness if we could find a multi-family property where 10 of us like-minded individuals/families that work from home could each put up our share of a mortgage -- a place with some retail ground floor space where we could have a little board game shop or maker space or teaching space or something, a place that could be improved and developed over the course of a few years.. maybe a shared car or two, i'm ready to put in my share and labor. Seriously.  Anyone?

Someplace near upstate ny would work best for me but i'm open to literally anywhere.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DC/Indie/coder/startup house/condo/etc
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 01:18 AM »
Someplace near upstate ny would work best for me but i'm open to literally anywhere.

Sydney?

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:48 AM »
Nice try Perry! I think he meant in the Western Hemisphere!

;D

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:30 AM »
I tried... but I couldn't resist...

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 03:35 AM »
Of course not - he opened the door...  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:27 PM »
I know I've said this half jokingly before, but in all seriousness if we could find a multi-family property where 10 of us like-minded individuals/families that work from home could each put up our share of a mortgage -- a place with some retail ground floor space where we could have a little board game shop or maker space or teaching space or something, a place that could be improved and developed over the course of a few years.. maybe a shared car or two, i'm ready to put in my share and labor. Seriously.  Anyone?

Wow! Talk about reviving memories! I was involved in a music/art living arrangement like that many years ago (back in the late commune days - although this was more an art-focused voluntary community rather than a commune) and it worked out amazingly well for everyone involved. As people got older, and started families or found employment elsewhere, it gradually faded away - but with a group of about 10 people who already knew where they wanted to put some roots down - and the admittedly more realistic and diverse mindset of today - you could probably make a go of it.

Suggestion: make sure the finances are all worked out well in advance. The thing that made it work for us was that money never became an issue because it was all mapped out - and with as many possible contingencies as possible planned for.

The best advice anybody ever gave us when we were setting up was to make sure the money questions were addressed and settled before anyone said "I do." This guy had organized several voluntary communities and said they were just like marriages - because more marriages break up over money problems than anything else. And from what I've seen, he was right.

Damn! If I wasn't locked in where I am right now (with major caretaker responsibilities for some elderly parents) I'd definitely be interested. Unfortunately, I'm not going anywhere for at least a few years. And where I am is not the type place (i.e. cost of living way too expensive) where you'd want to attempt a living arrangement like that.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I know I've said this half jokingly before, but in all seriousness if we could find a multi-family property where 10 of us like-minded individuals/families that work from home could each put up our share of a mortgage -- a place with some retail ground floor space where we could have a little board game shop or maker space or teaching space or something, a place that could be improved and developed over the course of a few years.. maybe a shared car or two, i'm ready to put in my share and labor. Seriously.  Anyone?

Wow! Talk about reviving memories! I was involved in a music/art living arrangement like that many years ago (back in the late commune days - although this was more an art-focused voluntary community rather than a commune) and it worked out amazingly well for everyone involved. As people got older, and started families or found employment elsewhere, it gradually faded away - but with a group of about 10 people who already knew where they wanted to put some roots down - and the admittedly more realistic and diverse mindset of today - you could probably make a go of it.

Suggestion: make sure the finances are all worked out well in advance. The thing that made it work for us was that money never became an issue because it was all mapped out - and with as many possible contingencies as possible planned for.

The best advice anybody ever gave us when we were setting up was to make sure the money questions were addressed and settled before anyone said "I do." This guy had organized several voluntary communities and said they were just like marriages - because more marriages break up over money problems than anything else. And from what I've seen, he was right.

Damn! If I wasn't locked in where I am right now (with major caretaker responsibilities for some elderly parents) I'd definitely be interested. Unfortunately, I'm not going anywhere for at least a few years. And where I am is not the type place (i.e. cost of living way too expensive) where you'd want to attempt a living arrangement like that.

I love ideas like this.  And it's great to hear of an actual experience that really worked, 40.  Because sometimes you toss these ideas around and they are so wild sounding that they don't even get the proper consideration or debate necessary.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:02 PM »
^It was Mouser's idea - not mine. I just chimed in because it was like hearing a blast from the past. 8)