ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Recommend Debian based image for VMWare Player on W8?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Shades:
@MilesAhead:
You might have to defrag the installation/distro itself inside VMWare as well. There is a button inside VMWare that allows you to defrag a VM (when it is not activated).

To my knowledge, none of the more modern distros such as Mint, Suse, Fedora will work well with only 1Gbyte of RAM assigned to it in any virtual environment. If you want a small(er) distro that is rather nice to look at, try ElemetaryOS.

40hz once linked to a website/blog from a guy who reviews distro's, but I didn't find the link anymore. That blog is gold if you are looking for a distro that is "just you". On that blog I saw a distro that was very interesting in looks, resource usage etc. It came from Korea, I believe.

MilesAhead:
Thanks.  I didn't know about the internal defrag.  Also out of curiosity I added a USB 3.0 thumb for ReadyBoost.  It doesn't seem like it will let me increase the memory for the VMs though.

I'm installing a Vista x64 image now just for grins. It's going to be stuck on expaning files for quite some time.  :)

40hz:
40hz once linked to a website/blog from a guy who reviews distro's, but I didn't find the link anymore. That blog is gold if you are looking for a distro that is "just you".
-Shades (May 11, 2014, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Two good desktop distro review site links:

Desktop Linux Reviews (da name sez it all!)

Dedoimedo (not just reviews of distros - most of what's here is solid gold too)

also check out:

How To Forge (more sysadmin and project oriented - but also good how-tos on setting up what they consider "the perfect desktop" under various flavors of Linux. Highly recommended.)

Gnomefiles (sorta like Snapfiles is for Windows, except for Gnome and related desktop users)

Linux Foundation Videos (for those times when a quick "show me" is worth more than an hour long explanation or a 300 page manual read)

FLOSS Manuals (repository of texts for those times when there's no way to not RTFM)

We see you're new around here...

Also don't neglect some of the communities when you decide on a distro. Not all (e.g. ArchLinux) are newbie friendly. But many others (Mint, CrunchBang, etc.)
most certainly are. If you find yourself bunking in one of those camps, don't be a stranger. :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Great stuff.   :D

40hz:
^I track so many NIX/FOSS resources that I can easily wear out my welcome. ;D

And I try not to data dump (too much) - so let me know if you want/need more.

Cheers! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version