ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft Office 2007 public Beta out now!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Darwin:
Three more updates:

I've discovered that once I run the installer for an Office 2003 app and it opens up, I can run all Office 2003 and 2007 apps side by side without re-running the installer UNTIL I reboot the computer. Also, Powerpoint's slide sorter view is much better in 2007.

The beta for RagTime 6 (http://www.ragtime-online.com/) will open *.docx files (though a lot of the formatting gets washed out) but StarOffice 8.01 will not. Not surprisingly, Word 2003 can't even see files with the docx extension.

Finally, pdf output is basic but works. Note that you have to go into options and select the type of file output to pdf. As far as I can tell, the default from Word is to output images, which proved to be useless!

Yes, I know, scinitillating stuff...

Carol Haynes:
Further info on Outlook ...

Just installed Outlook and downloaded some email (leaving it on the server so my old install in another Windows installation can still get to it).

It all looks very nice but just one problem ...

Outlook 2007 (beta) .PST files are NOT compatible with Outlook 2002

If you want to try Outlook make sure you backup all PST files first otherwise you will not be able to go back to 2002/2003.

Furthermore unlike the other apps I can't find any settings in Outlook 2007 that let's you choose to use older formats.

Carol Haynes:
Another Outlook 2007 related "feature" - did you know that to use the search facility you now have to install MSN Desktop Search before you can search your PST file contents ... great eh?

Another example of MS trying to force the use of its own unrelated products and shut out the competition ...

There is also a new beta available of MSN Desktop Search (at version 3) - presumably released to coincide with the Office Beta launch.

m_s:
I thought you liked MSN Desktop Search, Carol?  before I read your post above, I was going to post a question to you about this: I'm using GDS at the moment, and I like it, but I would prefer to be able to specify when the program indexes, rather than having it always spinning my disks in the background...  I know there are other desktop search apps that allow this, but I'm hooked on GDS's Quick Search Box. 

Anyway, that's all off-topic: what I wanted to say here is that after a few hours of working with Word 2007, I really don't want to have to go back to 2003!  The new interface is a huge improvement for me.

Carol Haynes:
I did quite like it - but I haven't used it for ages now - mainly 'cos, like you, I didn't want my hard disc indexing 90% of the time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version