ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

No .NET Framework, no problem!

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
My biggest objection to C#/.NET has always been the runtime shenanigans. So this to me is incredibly interesting, especially if the produced .exe is as small as the typical C# project output but still completely portably non runtime dependent.
--- End quote ---

I'm not so concerned with size but agree whole heartedly that there is some real pain associated with having to worry if the user has the right version of .net stuff installed, so this would be a big improvement.

wraith808:
I don't think you can get independence and size in the same package.  It's going to at least increase with the number of libraries you have linked- just common sense there.  I guess the thing to see is the size of the base libraries.

Stoic Joker:
I guess the thing to see is the size of the base libraries.-wraith808 (May 07, 2014, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yepper, that was my question. :D

@mouser - Understood, but I'm a bit hung-up on the absurd notion that a small utility should actually be small. Most of my C++ stuff is under 100KB, Page Countster for example for all it does is only 282KB, Got Space is 158KB...and most of that is the icon. Now if I go with C#/.NET I can get a binary that is 6-10KB, but that is going to be dependent on a runtime that may be as high as 40MB ... Which means that my supposed to be tiny little utility is now a 40MB behemoth that can't be used in a clean in-and-out zero presence fashion. That for me is a deal breaker.

zenzai:
An alternative is CrossOver:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

zenzai:
My biggest objection to C#/.NET has always been the runtime shenanigans. So this to me is incredibly interesting, especially if the produced .exe is as small as the typical C# project output but still completely portably non runtime dependent.
--- End quote ---

I'm not so concerned with size but agree whole heartedly that there is some real pain associated with having to worry if the user has the right version of .net stuff installed, so this would be a big improvement.
-mouser (May 07, 2014, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Win 8 (and AFAIR also Win 7) automatically offers to download the correct version if it isn't installed, when you run a .NET program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version