ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for a good non-Logitech keyboard

<< < (2/7) > >>

Deozaan:
Another thing I've realized that I miss from my K800 that I always thought of somewhat derisively in other keyboards before I got my K800 and never fully realized how much I used/like is the media keys.

I used the volume controls on the keyboard so often that it's a hassle to adjust the volume from the tray now. And the button I felt was the single most worthless button (on the keyboard when I first got it was a button to open the calculator. But that thing has become indispensable for me. In the one day I've gone without my K800, I've sorely missed the volume controls AND that calculator button.

The good news is that it seems my fingers are starting to get used to having to press harder on the keys to type every letter I hit. So I'm making fewer typing mistakes on this old Belkin keyboard I've had forever.

One of its fatal flaws, one you did not mention, is that it is impossible to take apart to clean.-Innuendo (May 02, 2014, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Honestly that was never something that bothered me. I never felt the need to clean it. That said, the fact that it's impossible to take apart is a large part of why I need a new keyboard. The alt key stopped working so I tried to take it apart to see if there was anything that had gotten in it that was interfering with the contact. In the process of taking the black panel off the back, several of the snaps broke, which I didn't think was too bad, but I also popped up several of the keys because I noticed a lot of lint under them and in the process a tiny bit of plastic on the underside of the E key broke off.

In other words, if I hadn't tried to clean or fix the keyboard, I'd still be using it (without an Alt key).

I loved, loved, loved that keyboard. But as I said, I'm sick of every Logitech product I buy failing in some way after only 2-3 years, so I'm going to try to do without it.

You paid $100 for it? That's MSRP. No one should ever have to pay MSRP for anything. :)    I picked mine up for about half that on sale somewhere so i guess I'm not going to be too upset when this one dies. I've gotten my money's worth out of it.-Innuendo (May 02, 2014, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I got mine for about $60 on sale, plus I had a gift card which brought the price down to something really nice, like $30. But still. I need a new keyboard now, and they're $100 now. And it's the principle of the thing. If they're going to charge $100 MSRP for it, it should last. This isn't some cheap no-name brand Chinese ripoff. Logitech is one of the big names in HID hardware. They need to make high quality, premium devices if they're going to be charging premium prices.

mwb1100:
A $100 keyboard should last longer than that. And no, I didn't spill anything on it. I'm sick and tired of my Logitech devices failing after only a couple of years
-Deozaan (May 01, 2014, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

You might want to see if you have records for when you bought the K800 - it has a 3 year warranty, so you might be able to get it replaced for minimal cost.

Deozaan:
A $100 keyboard should last longer than that. And no, I didn't spill anything on it. I'm sick and tired of my Logitech devices failing after only a couple of years
-Deozaan (May 01, 2014, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

You might want to see if you have records for when you bought the K800 - it has a 3 year warranty, so you might be able to get it replaced for minimal cost.
-mwb1100 (May 02, 2014, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought I had bought it when I got this computer in August 2011, but it seems my memory was a little off. According to my records, I bought it just over 3 years ago. January 28, 2011 for just under $60 (after gift cards).

mwb1100:
Damn.

Deozaan:
At this point it wouldn't really have mattered. I thought it only had a 1 year warranty on it, so I'm sure I voided any warranty that would have remained on it when I tried to take it apart.

But in the future I'll be sure to check to make sure my devices are no longer in warranty before I attempt to repair them myself. (c:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version