topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 4 (Maybe more) Absolute top go-to programs  (Read 39474 times)

Marbux

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 4 (Maybe more) Absolute top go-to programs
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2014, 02:09 AM »
I use multiple operating systems so to make my top 4 it has to be a multi-OS program.

All of the above are multi-platform and Lua scripts are cross-platform unless they make OS-specific calls. So my cross-platforms scripts are all shared via Wuala. Lua itself has a tiny executable (160-180Kb) running in a VM and executes at speeds that approach that of C for many functions.  FWIW, I'm the maintainer of a web page that will hopefully someday catalog all user-level programs that are written in or are extensible with Lua. (I'm still in catch up mode.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:10 AM by Marbux, Reason: inaccurate statement »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2014, 04:10 AM »
end-to-end private key encryption and location of its servers in Switzerland, beyond the reach of U.S. courts in a nation with very strong digital privacy rights.

The only fly in the ointment is:

1. Right now we don't really know how secure any encryption system is since there's been concerted government efforts for the last several years (and not just in the USA apparently) to secretly weaken encryption and the underlying algorithms such systems depend on - and also to backdoor the programs that use them.

2. Never underestimate the power of the buddy system and quid pro quo when it comes to governments and police agencies. Despite having strong constitutional protections and privacy laws, far too many nations have displayed a curious willingness to cooperate with foreign court orders, police agencies, and self-appointed industry watchdog groups - often in direct violation of their own local laws. Probably because, in the final analysis, "Cop is Cop" no matter which badge they carry - or which nation they claim their authority under.

Marbux

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Right now we don't really know how secure any encryption system is ...

Agreed. But we do have recommendations from leading computer security folk that we use strong encryption anyway. Also, Edward Snowden has said repeatedly that NSA has only limited ability to decrypt strong encryption because of the computing resources required. See for example, this article by Electronic Frontier Foundation security guru Bruce Schneier that also contains recommendations for what we can do to improve our data security. Plus, one of the things that has come out of the disclosures is that because of the computing resource problem, NSA stores indefinitely all encrypted traffic it encounters for future decryption if necessary. That factor strongly suggests that strongly encrypting as much internet traffic as is feasible is a valid form of protest that dilutes NSA's effectiveness, by cramming NSA's systems with stuff that has no intelligence value.

There's also the factor of voting with our feet, by ending our use of potentially insecure hardware and software produced in the U.S. to the extent feasible. The big U.S. cloud services and digital hardware manufacturers have received that message loud and clear from deserting users, to the point that they have become strong lobbyists in Congress for curtailing NSA surveillance powers and are implementing strong encryption themselves to beter protect their users. That trend has been strengthened by efforts under way by government in the E.U. and Brazil to encourage development of secure products that compete with U.S. companies' products and to create secure networks for the use of their citizens, in effect Balkanizing the internet. The U.S. government's ability to oppose such efforts at the World Trade Organization is severely limited by inclusion in all of the WTO trade agreements of a clause that exempts from trade agreement restraints actions taken to protect national security. By declaring U.S. products a threat to national security, other nations are able to adopt trade restrictions that would otherwise be prohibited.

So I've begun a process of withdrawal from U.S. based cloud services and am working toward replacing them either with client-side only software or with foreign cloud services that feature end-to-end encryption. I'm particularly interested in services based in Switzerland because I have extensively researched digital privacy rights there. (I'm a retired lawyer.) Switzerland has very strong digital privacy laws and a culture with a tradition that respects confidentiality; see e.g., their banking secrecy laws. Moreover, Switzerland is in the process of joining the E.U. and is far enough along in that process to have adopted the E.U. Human Rights treaty, which gives strong protection for digital privacy rights, but not yet far enough along to have adopted other E.U. treaties that create some exceptions in the Human Rights treaty. So my research suggested strongly that cloud services offering end-to-end encryption with their servers based in Switzerland are far more likely to be secure than services in NATO nations.

If you are interested in following a similar path, you might check out Wuala and the new ProtonMail service, whose business and servers are also based in Switzerland. That service also features end-to-end encryption. It's still in public beta, but I like the direction they are moving with their security model.

Never underestimate the power of the buddy system and quid pro quo when it comes to governments and police agencies. ...

I try not to. As a retired lawyer who specialized in civil rights and frequently sued the U.S. government, I'm all too keenly aware of that problem. My solution is partially discussed above. But I'm also doing more and more of my work these days on a Linux system that is air-gapped from any network and can communicate with my other systems only via thumb drive or CD/DVD drive. I'm becoming increasingly selective about what I expose to networks.

Right now, I think the best most people can do is to take a much harder look at security practices and minimize risks of privacy intrusion by our federal peeping Toms and other bad actors. I think time will tell whether my choice to favor Swiss cloud services was the best choice. I give a fair bit of weight to the fact that Switzerland and its populace have a strong tradition of respect for the privacy of information and a long tradition of neutrality in military matters. The Swiss government has strong incentives to crack down on any "cop" who abuses his authority in that regard.   

But in the final analysis, to me it's a stark choice between resistance and acquiescence when faced with outrageous government conduct. I'm not psychologically suited to play the helpless role. As the amazing Helen Keller said: "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Our system of government depends on citizens pushing back. "It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government." --- Thomas Paine.

AzureToad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2014, 10:07 AM »
On my office computer:
  • Evernote. Even paid for the premium license. Use it for resolution tracking, to-do, note taking, etc. Life would suck without it.
  • Devolutions Remote Desktop Manager - with hundreds of customers to support, no way could I manage my connections to their servers without it. Are there alternatives? Sure, but this is the one I keep coming back to.
  • WinWarden - I use this gem with my support ticket software. By default, it opens a window that needs to be resized to view the contents, otherwise I'm scrolling up and down to view it all. WinWarden does the resizing for me whenever the window's opened (20+ times a day).  The others in my office are jealous!
  • ManicTime - "What the heck did I spend my time on last week?"  "How much time did I spend on project X?" "I was on DonationCoder for HOW LONG?!" ;D  I have a lousy memory - this tool saves my bacon by tracking what windows I spend my time on, allowing me to review and bill appropriately. My guesses at how much time spent in a browser or program are SO way off - I can't live without this tool.

There's others, but looking at ManicTime... I gotta get back to work!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Not unusual to use the following at least once a day:

Android
arandr
bash
df
dwb
emerge
fluxbox
grep
less
linux (the kernel :) )
mupdf
nix-env / nixpkgs
pacman / pacaur
sakura
slim
sudo
vim
VirtualBox
wget
X.org

Oops...have I leaked out of bounds, both numerically and OS-wise? ;)

Very useful but perhaps not every day:
clonezilla
dd
du
Emacs + packages
Filezilla
Firefox + plugins
gcc, make, etc.
GIMP
git
gparted
GPT fdisk
HFS (HTTP app)
mercurial
mplayer
OpenSSH
PDF-XChange Viewer
ReNamer
Screenshot Captor
scrot
subversion
sunflower
sxiv
testdisk
uim
vlc
weechat
Windows 7 Pro
Wine
wireshark

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Oops...have I leaked out of bounds, both numerically and OS-wise?

Just run less a few more times.  That'll fix it.  :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Ha ha!  Good one :Thmbsup:

Though to work on Windows out-of-the-box, I guess I'd need to use "|" and "more" ;)

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 07:02 AM »
End of 2014, but I prefer to rescue this thread.

syncovery: backup your stuff
the bat: my email client
xplorer2: I tryed almost all, but feel confortable with this one
sandboxie: a must have (period)
emeditor: fast text editor
cintanotes / swift to-do

happy holidays!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 12:17 PM »
On the NIX platform:

• FocusWriter - NIX alternative to WriteMonkey
  • Remmina - multi-platform remote desktop client.
  • Sublime Text Editor - multi-platform text editor.  The best IMO.
  • KeyPassX - NIX alternative to KeePass
  • Scrivener - robust "alpha" version for Linux
  • VirtualBox - multi-platform VM manager. When I absolutely must use a Windows-only app, I'll mostly do it using this.
  • Shutter - until Mouser breaks down and does a version of Screenshot Captor for Linux, I'm stuck with this.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Thanks for the Shutter mention 40hz, running to try :D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar