ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

4 (Maybe more) Absolute top go-to programs

<< < (5/13) > >>

app103:

* Sage - FF extension. IMHO the only RSS/Atom reader worth considering. Light on its feet - and even lighter on features - which I consider its biggest selling point. Most RSS readers are bloated with features you'll never use. If you just want to efficiently stay on top of your newsfeeds, this is the reader to try first.-40hz (May 01, 2014, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or you can try NewsFox, which is the RSS reader that is included in K-Meleon.

40hz:

* Sage - FF extension. IMHO the only RSS/Atom reader worth considering. Light on its feet - and even lighter on features - which I consider its biggest selling point. Most RSS readers are bloated with features you'll never use. If you just want to efficiently stay on top of your newsfeeds, this is the reader to try first.-40hz (May 01, 2014, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or you can try NewsFox, which is the RSS reader that is included in K-Meleon.
-app103 (May 04, 2014, 04:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thx for the suggestion. I will check it out. :Thmbsup:

UPDATE: Oops...32-bit only? And no Nix version? Dual showstopper for me. Oh well... :)

yksyks:
Almost can't live without these (in the following order):

ZTreeWin — file manager
HotkeyP — keyboard shortcuts
Ditto — clipboard manager
Everything — finding files

To feel better I also need (but not that urgently):
Dropbox
Evernote

Curt:
... programs that are absolutely at the top of your daily list that you'd be annoyed not to have around. The trap here is that second tier that are useful but only on occasion.-TaoPhoenix (April 30, 2014, 02:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

1 only: Lynx (switch from Firefox) http://lynx.isc.org/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_browser -rgdot (April 30, 2014, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

-were you trapped ("useful but only on occasion")? How can a text browser ever be "at the top of your daily list"? It's not even able to really tell what it looks like itself, because it cannot display pictures!! Also, extremely many pages on the Internet will not make sense if "displayed" in Lynx. It must be used for something other than the "normal" Internet. This browser is a complete mystery to me.

----------

Almost all of my favourite programs from the past have been abandoned, so I guess my favourites of the present also may be abandoned some time in the future - so what if I like (FastStone Capture) this (Pale Moon) or that (jetAudio was updated!!) program (Dynamic-Photo HDR 5)? Tomorrow will be a different story.

cyberdiva:
Almost all of my favourite programs from the past have been abandoned, so I guess my favourites of the present also may be abandoned some time in the future - so what if I like (FastStone Capture) this (Pale Moon) or that (jetAudio was updated!!) program (Dynamic-Photo HDR 5)? Tomorrow will be a different story.
-Curt (May 07, 2014, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow, Curt.  Sounds like you've had a bad day/week/month.  :(  Yes, it's true that nothing lasts for ever, but that's no reason not to enjoy programs while they're useful and no reason not to be interested in what other people like.  And for that matter, I've continued to find some programs very useful for a decade or more.  HyperSnap and I go back 17 years; there almost never a day that I'm at my computer without using it.  Mulberry is still my primary email client after 14 years of use (in spite of my trying unsuccessfully to find a more modern replacement).  UltraEdit has been my default text editor for about the same amount of time.  Someone turned me on to ActiveWords ten years ago, and I still use it every day.  Carpe diem program.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version