topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Valley of Dolls - remote village of Nagoro, Japan populated by dolls  (Read 8156 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ahh... nope, nope, nope... :o

Ayano Tsukimi (64) is living in Nagoro, a village in eastern Iya on Shikoku, one of the four main islands of Japan. Not many people are still living there. For those who die or move away, Ayano Tsukimi is making lifesized dolls in their liking and puts them in places that were important to them. The dolls are scattered around the whole valley.

Also, explore the village virtually with Google maps:
https://www.google.c...sq_J5g5qrqExtA9w!2e0

from ah... nope.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The film Dolls got me interested in watching movies with Kanno Miho.  Maybe no connection except she was a real doll.  ;)

(I say "was" because I think she had some cosmetic work done.  Now she is merely beautiful.  But earlier she was incredibly cute with freckles.  Oh, and, yeah, she can act.  :)

I'll take a look at your links now.  :)

Edit: Not totally off topic.  In the film Dolls there is live action but also sequences with dolls of the type shown in the pic in your post.  (Hmm, seems I don't have the bandwidth on this WiFi to check it out now.  But I will later.)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:18 AM by MilesAhead »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for sharing, Edvard -- very cool.  :up:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Beautifully done! Speaks volumes about the human psyche and how it deals with separation and loss. :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An interesting vid. That type of thing is why I like Japanese films/tv.

The movie Dolls that I linked consists of 3 vignettes.  The longest is the Kanno Miho vehicle.  Without giving the whole plot away, it is about 2 lovers who wander Japan for decades tied together by a rope.  I won't say more for chance of spoiling it.  But if you haven't seen it, it's a good alternative to the standard Kurosawa stuff.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great find Edvard :up:

The movie Dolls that I linked ... is about 2 lovers who wander Japan for decades tied together by a rope
Japan is so foreign to westerners, the rest of Asia probably too...
Havent seen that move Miles, did get to see the intro, which is some kind of Japanese doll theatre, on YT:

Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kabuki I guess is the term for the genre.  What kicks my ass is the writer/director is Takeshi Kitano.  Otherwise known as "Beat" Takeshi.  He's a stand up comic who often plays a gangster in Yakuza films.  Looking at the man's face you wouldn't suspect some of the work he produces.

One of his gangster films is an East/West merged flick called Brother.  Tatyana Ali has a bit part as a party chick. Takeshi is really ruthless.  But most of his gangster characters have no mercy.  :)

One of Beat Takeshi's greatest films is Fireworks or Hana-bi.  If you see it make sure it's not a butchered western cut.  That film shows you where his head is at.  A unique plot.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's been awhile since I last watched Dolls.  I think the doll sequences are interspersed.  But I could be wrong.  Also I forget the other vignettes.  Kanno Miho stuck in my mind.  She is very popular and does many TV shows as well as films.  Everything from Tomi to Television.  :)  Esp. when she was younger she played many quirky characters.  The American actress closest to that style was probably Rosanna Arquette.  If you have a chance to see her work as a teen you should check it out.  When she smiles it's all over.  You are on her side right away.  :)