ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cheap fountain pen shootout

<< < (3/6) > >>

40hz:
I'm following right along with you, and I wish I had the resources necessary to really give a good review of some recommendations; I can only go on second-hand info for anything outside my price range.  Please pardon my naïveté. 
-Edvard (April 27, 2014, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

No pardon needed. I think you're more deserving of our gratitude for your candor. :Thmbsup:

It appears that fountain pens are like guitars; everybody has their favorites and extols the virtues of each, but ultimately you get what feels good under your fingers and out of your wallet.
--- End quote ---

Well said. And I suspect you're right. Because, much like guitars, any good quality tool is workable as long as you're willing to put the time in. Maybe I'll just stick with the Waterman and my Pels and call it a day. They're all nice pens. And best of all, they're already paid for. ;D

(Besides, I have designs on a Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer and an EHX Analogizer - and there's only so much mad money available.  :mrgreen: )

MilesAhead:
now let's y'all put away the nibs and uh... call it a draw, shall we?
--- End quote ---

Heh.  The pen is mightier than the sword.  Apparently a good fountain pen is more powerful than a pistol.  :)

J-Mac:
I have a small collection of fountain pens - ten of 'em. Prices ranged from $23 up to $169. The most expensive is a custom job that resembles - and is made from parts of - a Dolcevita pen: orange and black, and too fat for me to write with! Looks nice though. I knew the custom maker and wasn’t sure what the hell I was doing at the time.   :-[

Best writing pens I own and use regularly: A Waterman Charleston with a Medium nib, and a Waterman Expert II with a Fine nib. I have a few Lamy pens with Extra Fine nibs but only one doesn’t feel "scratchy". Actually I should add that one to my favorites list too. It's a Lamy Al-Star. The two Watermans mentioned above are the tops for me. Both were right around $100, but hey - you only live once.   :P

Jim

rjbull:
thank you rjbull for recommending Stationery Art.-Edvard (April 27, 2014, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Somebody on Fountain Pen Network recommended them when I was looking for a Pilot 78G as a good fine nib at an affordable price.  I would repeat, don't overlook the Lamy Nexx which has the same nib, cartridge and converter as the Safari, but a very different look; which, if course, you may like even less...

Looks like they've got a more or less complete offering of Baoer's line, which I've been eyeing lately, and I'm liking the slim look of the Hero 7015, which being stainless steel might have a bit of weight to it...-Edvard (April 27, 2014, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think you take pot luck with most Chinese brands.  Hero seem pretty reliable; my 329 is too fine for me for general use, but I'm happy with the way it writes.  No so my Jinhao X450 with its supposedly broad nib, which is too dry to be much use.  Fixes have been suggested on FPN but I haven't tried them; they don't seem to work for every pen anyway.  Why not take a look at FPN's pen review section to see if there are any reviews of the Hero 7015?  There are a number for Baoer, from memory, most of them favourable.

Check out Jetpens.com as well.  Great prices and I've heard their customer service is pretty good.-Edvard (April 27, 2014, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think Goulet Pens are good too.

And as for what inks you put in them, that's a whole new set of topics  :)

1NR1:
Hello,

Maybe Cheap should be in quotes :) The Cult Pens site had one in the $1000's.

But seriously, I use fountain and ink pens for drawing and I'm on the lookout for a cartridge ink pen that allows different "nibs".  Any ideas?  Thanks. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version