ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Removed Areas > Delphi and C++ Builder

Something you should know about C++ Builder

(1/3) > >>

app103:
Not knowing much about anything, I translated & compiled a project I had written in Delphi 6, with C++ Builder 6.

This ran just fine on my PC and the file size was nice and small...I was impressed.

Then I gave the file to someone else and that was when the problems began....it started complaining of missing .dll's on their pc.

If you want to distribute your files and avoid the problem I had this is what you have to do:

* Under project/options/linker you need to uncheck "Use Dynamic RTL"
* and under project/options/packages you need to uncheck "Build with Runtime Libraries."
--- End quote ---

Unless you do this, others will have trouble running your apps.

Be prepared to see the file size grow enormously.

This applies to C++ Builder, not Delphi. The default settings in Delphi work just fine and you don't have to change them.

mouser:
very good advice app - your description and instructions are exactly right; and i advise all people to choose those settings.  file size will grow but the program will be self-contained.

(Delphi has the same issue but more people happen to have the delphi runtime .dlls already installed on their computer).

ps.  Love your new avatar app  :up:

app103:
delphi does have the same issue...but the default settings are different than C++ builder's settings...they are already set correctly

(thanks for the avatar compliment :))

f0dder:
>_<

It's a lot better to link dynamically and the redistribute the runtimes. BCB and Delphi code generation is bad enough on it's own, but with statically linked runtimes the exe file size is plain enormous. This is bad for people on slow ADSL connections, or even worse, those still on ISDN or regular modems.

Also, with dynamically linked runtimes, the runtime code is shared between multiple delphi/bcb apps running... not to mention that with delphi/bcb apps protected with asprotect or whatever (*sigh*), at least the runtime won't be included in the memory overhead.

justice:
Can you not include a snippet of code in your program to check for these dlls and download /register them for the user. That way when not needed the exe can stay small and can still be shared? (i don't know anything about c++)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version