topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Net Neutrality news from FCC today (4/24/2014). What do you guys make of it?  (Read 2961 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.pcworld.c...rality-proposal.html

I'm not sure what to think of this.  I don't particularly like it mainly because I'm operating from a "if it ain't broke" perspective.  I love the way the internet has been the past 15 years.

What exactly is this "fixing"?  What was the problem?
what part of the net is not neutral already?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.pcworld.c...rality-proposal.html

I'm not sure what to think of this.  I don't particularly like it mainly because I'm operating from a "if it ain't broke" perspective.  I love the way the internet has been the past 15 years.

What exactly is this "fixing"?  What was the problem?
what part of the net is not neutral already?

Of course it is not "fixing" anything. It's just more of the politics-creep we are seeing semi-lately. In one way, it's been surprisingly long how long computing has remained sensibly stable and agnostic. Not counting Renny's delicate, subtle, soft touch to news events, it really is a bit of a late date for all these games.

I've been watching a marathon of the old Flash series from 1990 aka before modern computing really got going, and the writers really struggled a bit to write for the smart doctor character. But not one went into this political territory. It's a pretty pure snapshot that computers "just did" whatever they did.

Maybe about the time of the Matrix did we really get the first meta-comments that political forces could be brought to control computing.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
What was the problem?

The problem is that these companies see an opportunity to milk you for more money and want to exploit that.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker