ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Net Neutrality news from FCC today (4/24/2014). What do you guys make of it?

(1/1)

superboyac:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2147600/fcc-will-seek-input-on-latest-net-neutrality-proposal.html

I'm not sure what to think of this.  I don't particularly like it mainly because I'm operating from a "if it ain't broke" perspective.  I love the way the internet has been the past 15 years.

What exactly is this "fixing"?  What was the problem?
what part of the net is not neutral already?

TaoPhoenix:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2147600/fcc-will-seek-input-on-latest-net-neutrality-proposal.html

I'm not sure what to think of this.  I don't particularly like it mainly because I'm operating from a "if it ain't broke" perspective.  I love the way the internet has been the past 15 years.

What exactly is this "fixing"?  What was the problem?
what part of the net is not neutral already?
-superboyac (April 24, 2014, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course it is not "fixing" anything. It's just more of the politics-creep we are seeing semi-lately. In one way, it's been surprisingly long how long computing has remained sensibly stable and agnostic. Not counting Renny's delicate, subtle, soft touch to news events, it really is a bit of a late date for all these games.

I've been watching a marathon of the old Flash series from 1990 aka before modern computing really got going, and the writers really struggled a bit to write for the smart doctor character. But not one went into this political territory. It's a pretty pure snapshot that computers "just did" whatever they did.

Maybe about the time of the Matrix did we really get the first meta-comments that political forces could be brought to control computing.

tomos:
Related (dc thread):
Net neutrality is dead. Bow to Comcast and Verizon, your overlords (AKA DOOOOOM)

Renegade:
What was the problem?
-superboyac (April 24, 2014, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem is that these companies see an opportunity to milk you for more money and want to exploit that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version