topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad free on Steam (23 April 2014 only)  (Read 4987 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Today (23 April 2014), Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is free on Steam:

- http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/

Be aware of the following note about this game:

CONTAINS ONLY LIMITED RISING STORM CONTENT`

Please note: if you buy Red Orchestra 2 from this store page, you will get RIFLE-ONLY access to Rising Storm, NOT the whole game. If you head for the Rising Storm store page (http://store.steampo...ered.com/app/234510/), you can buy Rising Storm, including ALL of the Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer content.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
So it's a demo that you normally have to pay for? :huh:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So it's a demo that you normally have to pay for? :huh:

Yeah - buying games has gotten quite complex: do you want the cheap basic game and add on DLCs bit-by-bit, do you buy the 'season pass' and hope that you'll get all the future DLCs, or do you wait for the 'game of the year' or some other deluxe edition to come out?

This particular game isn't something I'd normally go for (I'm actually not much of a gamer at all - even calling me a casual gamer is probably a stretch), but since it's free I figure I can afford to add it to my library in case I want to try it out sometime.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I think I misunderstood. It seems like Heroes of Stalingrad is a full game. But there's an expansion called Rising Storm that has a lot of content, but this only contains a demo of it.

You still get the full Heroes of Stalingrad experience, and the rifle content of Rising Storm is a bonus. But the store page is really confusing because they have all the details and sales points of the Game of the Year Edition even though it's not the GoTY edition they're selling on that store page.

All of the above is just speculation because it's really confusing. I'm still not sure if any of this is right.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I found this forum post that seems to explain things.  When they released the Rising Storm stand-alone expansion to Red Orchestra 2, this also happened:

Everyone who owns Red Orchestra 2 has access to Rising Storm lite. This means that you can play on the maps, but the only available class if riflemen. This allow servers to go from the Eastern front to the Pacific on map change. One match you’re crawling through the ruins of the Stalingrad, the next you’re leading a banzai charge across Hanto river.

So it appears that RO2 is a full game that includes limited capability access to Rising Storm expansion play.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rising Storm GOTY Free weekend (until 27 April 2014)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:02 AM »
after giving away RO2, Tripwire Interactive are now having a free weekend for RO2's expansion - Rising Storm GOTY. Note: the game requires you to install Punkbuster as part of the anti-cheat multiplayer component.

http://store.steampo...ered.com/app/234510/