I like checkers, so have wanted to do a checkers game. For me, it would only be fun if you could play it with someone else. A screen cap of the UI I have mocked up so far is attached. My plan is this:
* The name is currently netCheckers, but if someone has a cooler name let me know.
* I am thinking about putting a basic in game AI for playing locally alone.
* The main thing it is for though is playing someone else over the network.
* I would like to have it auto discover other games running on the local lan and be able to connect to a specified IP over the internet. When it launches it will look for other instances running and offer them as a destination, but the user can also select "Internet" or something to put in an IP.
* I am toying with some ideas for some "modes" to make it more interesting, like the ability to somehow earn back your pieces from the other player, etc.
* I am planning to implement some different board/piece colors that will be user configurable.
The checker positions are currently picture boxes, with the pieces planned to be .pngs with background transparencies. I would LIKE to make the pieces draggable to the new position, but may do a click source and then click destination method since I dont know if I can do the drag and drop thing. Maybe a grid of picture boxes arent the best way?
Most of this is currently beyond me, but will be a good learning experience. Any input would be appreciated. If I am able to make this thing and make it work, I would want to post it here for people to use if they want.
Notes on the screenshot: The white arrows will designate the current player to move, only one will be showing at any given time. I was thinking of making a small box between the players arrow and the players info that will "hold" jumped pieces, sort as a visual indicator of how many pieces you have taken.