Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 01:47:45 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A little game project I have been thinking about and started tonight.  (Read 2072 times)
Tekzel
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:18:17 AM »

I like checkers, so have wanted to do a checkers game.  For me, it would only be fun if you could play it with someone else.   A screen cap of the UI I have mocked up so far is attached.  My plan is this:

* The name is currently netCheckers, but if someone has a cooler name let me know.
* I am thinking about putting a basic in game AI for playing locally alone.
* The main thing it is for though is playing someone else over the network.
* I would like to have it auto discover other games running on the local lan and be able to connect to a specified IP over the internet.  When it launches it will look for other instances running and offer them as a destination, but the user can also select "Internet" or something to put in an IP.
* I am toying with some ideas for some "modes" to make it more interesting, like the ability to somehow earn back your pieces from the other player, etc.
* I am planning to implement some different board/piece colors that will be user configurable.

The checker positions are currently picture boxes, with the pieces planned to be .pngs with background transparencies. I would LIKE to make the pieces draggable to the new position, but may do a  click source and then click destination method since I dont know if I can do the drag and drop thing.  Maybe a grid of picture boxes arent the best way?

Most of this is currently beyond me, but will be a good learning experience.  Any input would be appreciated.  If I am able to make this thing and make it work, I would want to post it here for people to use if they want.

Notes on the screenshot:  The white arrows will designate the current player to move, only one will be showing at any given time.   I was thinking of making a small box between the players arrow and the players info that will "hold" jumped pieces, sort as a visual indicator of how many pieces you have taken. 

* Screenshot - 5_25_2006 , 1_58_15 AM.png (31.04 KB, 548x469 - viewed 202 times.)
martyjn
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:38:36 AM »

Hi Teksel I take it your are writing this in c# i am doing a similar project in c++ for the borland competition.I used the grid of pictures boxes to implement my checkers game i have a beta copy of my program for download at my website http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~martyjn/ and i wold be interested in any feedback also let me know when you r ready to test it across the net and i will be happy to help.I though about having my program run threw a server (i can easily write the server just need a fixed IP address to run it on) anyway i would like to hear back what you think of my program
marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.024s | Server load: 0.05 ]