ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

web hosts

(1/3) > >>

allen:
All right DC brain trust... my company is in need of a new web host for our clients, as Hostgator has been in a significant state of decline over the last couple years. Ideally we're looking for shared hosting plans as VPS managing/reselling has proven to be more trouble than it's worth for a shop as small as ours. 

I can read feature lists and prices as well as the next guy, but what I'd really like is recommendations based on real experience--especially if you've used a host for a long-ish time and are happy with them. Obviously reliability is important, customer service being a close second priority.

eleman:
I'd recommend hostso. Mostly due to price. You can't beat $8 per month for unlimited web sites.

I use them for 5 years now.

They sometimes have downtime. My uptime estimate for their services would be around 99%. Well yes, I know 99% and 99.5% are really worlds apart when you have an angry client. And 99.95% is entirely something else. But see the price.

Sometimes (once a month or once every two months maybe) the site is slower than it needs to be.

Their responses to tickets are quick (within 24 hours), and they solve the problems in the first response. I never had to have protracted exchanges with a clueless support staff in India. Every problem I had, from billing to password resets, to vulnerable php scripts, were solved immediately.

And again, you can't beat the price.

rgdot:
Consider hawkhost (hawkhost.com) too, been happy with them for a few years.

allen:
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

TaoPhoenix:
All right DC brain trust... my company is in need of a new web host for our clients, as Hostgator has been in a significant state of decline over the last couple years. Ideally we're looking for shared hosting plans as VPS managing/reselling has proven to be more trouble than it's worth for a shop as small as ours.  

I can read feature lists and prices as well as the next guy, but what I'd really like is recommendations based on real experience--especially if you've used a host for a long-ish time and are happy with them. Obviously reliability is important, customer service being a close second priority.

-allen (April 21, 2014, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's been a while, but if nothing else but for education, a few years back I did a slightly unorthodox survey of free (but payment greatly appreciated!) web hosts from FreeWebSpace.net.

The point is, a while back I wanted some simple hosting for my own projects and got tired of fake outfits folding in four months at a time, so I set out to find a couple long haul guys.

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?2224602-Time-to-rebuild-my-host-spread
(Tip - scroll to the end of the thread to post - you likely don't care about my multi post history to get there)

Of my four winners, the two I recommend are either Seraphim Labs or Decker Services. By now both have been in service for some 5+ years. Post in the thread to say hello and get some basic info to sign up because that forum saw a rash of fake signups but once they see you with my referral they'll know it's a different league.

Once you request hosting aka it's easy to prove you are not one of the junk spammers taking over that service area, you have a good shot at either. And they have decent techs to solve problems. At the total worst if you tell them TaoPhoenix sent you, you can get the other one to spot help any rare problem that pops up on the other's service, which is pretty rare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version