topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RIPT (Ript) shareable scrapbook-clipping programme - Mini-Review  (Read 10089 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Originally posted:2014-04-15
Last updated2014-04-15

Basic Info
App NameRIPT - 00 very small.jpg  RIPT (shareable scrapbook-clipping program)
Thumbs-Up Rating :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
App URLOne of several download sites: http://ript.en.softonic.com/
OBSOLETE
http://www.ript.com
App Version ReviewedRIPT v.0.5.0218 (Freeware, 2007)
Test System SpecsWindows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Supported OSesWindows
Support MethodsNone. (OBSOLETE product)
Upgrade PolicyNot applicable.
Trial Version Available?Freeware
Pricing SchemeNot applicable.

Intro and Overview:
RIPT is a shareable (with other RIPT users) scrapbook-clipping program.
I thought I'd publish a review of this forgotten, elegant program for those who (like me) might find an occasional - if not frequent - use for it. I don't really need it now, as I tend to use:

This screenshot (below) tells you all you really need to know about RIPT, if you want to get started using it:
(Click to expand image.)
RIPT - 01 brief review.jpgRIPT (Ript) shareable scrapbook-clipping programme - Mini-Review

Description: The quote below from Robert J. Calvano[ contains the text of the website referred to in the screenshot above, and gives the background to the RIPT project's development.
(Copied sans embedded links/images.)
Ript: Software Design & Development
Before there was ever such a thing as Pinterest, there was Ript.

"I want you to make an application that doesn't look or feel like an application." Those words, spoken by Oxygen's CEO Gerry Laybourne, guided the extremely talented Agile development team I worked on while we designed and developed Ript.  

Ript is (read was) a free Windows desktop application which was made available for download via the web. The target audience was women, age 18-45, that were smart, savvy, early adopters, shoppers and collaborators.  With our focus on women, we were driven to surpass their user experience expectations and created a useful tool that was playful and purposeful as well as simple, elegant and fun.

It mimics the acts of ripping, piling and arranging. It's part scrapbook, part visual to do list (or to buy list), part collaborative tool. You can drag and drop any type of image or text from an internet site, or your directory structure, and arrange all of your assets any way you see fit. Then share or print them.

We had tons of fun designing the application as well as collaborating with the TV department to create spots that captured the essence of the app (videos below).

We even brought in John Maeda to work with the team for a day, expand our thinking, and to give Ript a test drive.

After NBC Universal bought Oxygen, the project was left to rot on the vine. Then along came Pinterest.

The Good:
Potentially a very useful little program. Seems to work flawlessly.

Needs Improvement:
(No notes on this. The software has apparently been abandoned and is not being maintained.)

Why I think you should use this product:
It might be just what you were looking for!

How it compares to similar products:
I know of nothing similar to RIPT.

Conclusions:
Could well be worth your giving it a quick trial.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:32 AM by IainB »

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
Re: RIPT (Ript) shareable scrapbook-clipping programme - Mini-Review
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:16 AM »
No download link?
English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: RIPT (Ript) shareable scrapbook-clipping programme - Mini-Review
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:30 AM »
No download link?

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, and my apologies. I had put it in the image (JPG) of the canvas, and had intended to but forgot (was distracted by events at home) to put it in the table at the front as a clickable link as well.
The first link I came across when doing the DuckGo search for it today was: http://ript.en.softonic.com/
Have put it in the table now.