ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft dropping support for Windows 8.1

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Not clear to me - I presume you can still update to the prerequisite level after that date? If you can it is no different to pulling support for Windows XP SP1 after SP2 had been released a while. Just a mandatory free update to get future support which is business as usual for MS.

If you can't even get updates to take you to the prerequisite level to allow future updates then that is mad - there are plenty of Windows 8.1 machines on the shelves in shops that won't be at that level? And is the free upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 going to include the latest updates?

tomos:
Not clear to me - I presume you can still update to the prerequisite level after that date?
-Carol Haynes (April 15, 2014, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to be what they're saying. But it would have been helpful if they had said that more explicitly.

TaoPhoenix:
Not clear to me - I presume you can still update to the prerequisite level after that date? If you can it is no different to pulling support for Windows XP SP1 after SP2 had been released a while. Just a mandatory free update to get future support which is business as usual for MS.

If you can't even get updates to take you to the prerequisite level to allow future updates then that is mad - there are plenty of Windows 8.1 machines on the shelves in shops that won't be at that level? And is the free upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 going to include the latest updates?
-Carol Haynes (April 15, 2014, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I dunno, some of you gang support clients and you are working too hard to figure this out. Pretty scary for "medium Joes" who are still grappling with the end of XP.

Ya know, computing in the 80's with everyone's first starter machine just wasn't this hard. "Company sold products. Consumers took their pick of five that they wanted. Then the deal was done".

I liked the simplicity of MS's screwup of Vista that Made WinXP and later Win7 the easy path to take. Now we both have to deal with Win8/Non-Metro's mess and another round of temporary destructible upgrade paths. It's just making the XP-Holdout option stronger until gawd help me Win9 ... is a win.

40hz:
So patches D and above are dependent on the preexistence of patch C... *Shrug* ...Like that's never happened before?? I really don't see any cause for excitement here.
-Stoic Joker (April 15, 2014, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm gonna have to agree with SJ here. It's happened before. So why is this considered news? :huh: Required prior update dependencies are a fact of life with software upgrades. Even in Linux. Some stuff just needs to be there before something else can be added or updated. True, the announcement was somewhat tortuously worded. But it was no big deal about what was being said. And hardly cause for it to be as broadly (mis?)interpreted as it was.

Innuendo:
Ya know, computing in the 80's with everyone's first starter machine just wasn't this hard. "Company sold products. Consumers took their pick of five that they wanted. Then the deal was done". -TaoPhoenix (April 15, 2014, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you kidding me? Back then if you needed a patch for your OS or agame...or a device driver you were either on the phone paying Ma Bell out the butt for long-distance charges or you were on an online service like CompuServ paying $6/hour...at 300 baud!

Even then there was no guarantee what you downloaded was going to fix your problem. And if it didn't, you were still out the money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version