ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

About the Python 2 to 3 Transition...

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
(Note: I've coded Python in both v2 and v3 - and I really can't see where v2 is provably better. But I'm not a real programmer so that might be attributable to ignorance on my part. My clients, however, are very qualified programming professionals. And both started migrating their codebases over to using Python-3 as soon as it was deemed stable enough to do so. So make of that what you will. :mrgreen:)
-40hz (May 27, 2014, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would imagine the people who program by writing code have little issues with writing for either version, but the people who program by downloading other peoples libraries and gluing them together will have a problem if google doesn't give them something to solve their problem all in the same version of Python :P.
-Jibz (May 27, 2014, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah...the bottom-feeders that take the Lego/TinkerToy approach to FOSS deployment and 'programming" are always the first to scream loudest and longest aren't they? ;D ;D ;D

mwb1100:
I would imagine the people who program by writing code have little issues with writing for either version, but the people who program by downloading other peoples libraries and gluing them together will have a problem if google doesn't give them something to solve their problem all in the same version of Python :P.
-Jibz (May 27, 2014, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

My problem is that I'm not a Python developer, but I sometimes need to *use* things that are written in Python.  As an end user it's very confusing which version I want or need so that the things that I install that use Python will work.  It's also not clear whether I can or should just install both Python 2 and 3.

Most of the information out there seems to indicate that as an end user, you should install Python 2 unless you know that you need Python 3.  So I've installed Python 2, and things seem to be working OK. But I suspect that there's a bit of cargo-cultism going on here and/or I don't have enough things dependent on Python to have run into a strong version dependency.

I wouldn't be surprised if things would be working OK if I had installed Python 3. I also wouldn't be surprised if things just broke if I did that.  So I'll probably stick with installing Python 2.x until something forces me to install 3.  I'll only be unhappy if doing that breaks something else, but hopefully it won't, or it will be easy to fix if it does.

Edvard:
Does this kind of version war exist in many other places?
-TaoPhoenix (May 27, 2014, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

GTK3.  Take sides, then duck and cover.  I'm not kidding.  :'(

At least with the Qt fight, things settled down after Qt4 stabilized and people actually started using it.  GTK3 is being broken by the Gnome devs every release.  This does not bode well... 

phitsc:
I've never even heard about the Python 2 vs 3 debate until ewemoa started this topic. But then we went for Ruby when we had to decide between the two 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version