ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Internet Explorer Front End

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
^Great, happy to hear that :)

MilesAhead:
I'm not sure about Windows Seven but in older flavors if I changed the system font to larger than 9 it messed up the dialogs on Property Pages.  To test, right click on a program shortcut, click Properties and try all the tabs.  If everything seems OK then you should be golden.  :)

btw Windows 8 is missing many customization settings, including this one.  ( Either it's gone or they hid the setting someplace. )

Vurbal:
@MilesAhead:  I tried to install the Maxthon 2 browser (went fine), but when I tried to run it I was blocked with an error message saying I was blocked because the program (Maxthon) was violating the Group Policy Editor. ASs I'm running Home Premium, I don't have access to the GPE. Any ideas?
-BearPup7 (April 10, 2014, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's possible, although perhaps legally questionable, to add the Group Policy Editor in home versions of Win7, and apparently Win8 / Win8.1.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

I've tested the procedure myself on Win7 and can verify it works. Having said that, I would also recommend not doing anything via Group Policy except as a last resort. And whatever you do, make sure to keep good notes on any changes you make. Group Policy is really just a frontend for a wide variety of Windows settings, many in the registry. Reversing policy settings typically isn't as simple as returning to the defaults.

Many of the defaults really equate to "change nothing." In many cases they are a sort of 3 way switch and the choices will be No Change, On, and Off. In those cases you can at least look at what you've set (either On or Off) and select the opposite to reverse it. I can't really provide any more specific advice since I'm not sure what policy is responsible here.

MilesAhead:
I guess it would depend on why the policy is blocking it.  It may be that the old MaxThon and the new IE use different ActiveX Controls?  I don't know.  I'm just guessing.

Here's Registry Settings for many of the Group Policy options:

http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/default.aspx?ref=1

40hz:
@MilesAhead:  I tried to install the Maxthon 2 browser (went fine), but when I tried to run it I was blocked with an error message saying I was blocked because the program (Maxthon) was violating the Group Policy Editor. ASs I'm running Home Premium, I don't have access to the GPE. Any ideas?

@tomos:  Thank you for replying. I'm off to try out your suggestion.
-BearPup7 (April 10, 2014, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any chance of providing us with the exact wording or a screenshot of the error message? That's a strange one. And before you go messing with GPOs it's a really good idea to determine what the actual problem is that's causing a message like that before you go changing anything.  :tellme:

I would also recommend not doing anything via Group Policy except as a last resort. And whatever you do, make sure to keep good notes on any changes you make. Group Policy is really just a frontend for a wide variety of Windows settings, many in the registry. Reversing policy settings typically isn't as simple as returning to the defaults.

Many of the defaults really equate to "change nothing." In many cases they are a sort of 3 way switch and the choices will be No Change, On, and Off. In those cases you can at least look at what you've set (either On or Off) and select the opposite to reverse it. I can't really provide any more specific advice since I'm not sure what policy is responsible here.
-Vurbal (April 10, 2014, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1! :Thmbsup: Words of wisdom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version