topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ubuntu One (cloud) file services ending soon  (Read 1943 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ubuntu One (cloud) file services ending soon
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Bad news when cloud services byte (;)) the dust.

From an email I received earlier today:

date:    Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM
subject:    Ubuntu One file services

Hi,

We are writing to you to notify you that we will be shutting down the Ubuntu One file services, effective 1 June 2014. This email gives information about the closure and what you should expect during the shutdown process.

As of today, it will no longer be possible to purchase storage or music from the Ubuntu One store. The Ubuntu One file services apps in the Ubuntu, Google, and Apple stores will be updated appropriately.

As always, your content belongs to you.  You can simply download your files onto your PC or an external hard drive.  While the service will stop as of 1 June, you will have an additional two months (until 31 July 2014) to collect all of your content. After that date, all remaining content will be deleted.

If you have an active annual subscription, the unused portion of your fees will be refunded. The refund amount will be calculated from today's announcement.

We know you have come to rely on Ubuntu One, and we apologise for the inconvenience this closure may cause.  We've always been inspired by the support, feedback and enthusiasm of our users and want to thank you for the support you've shown for Ubuntu One. We hope that you'll continue to support us as together we bring a revolutionary experience to new devices.

The Ubuntu One team

Thank goodness for DRM-free storage. That's the one nice thing about all this. I never relied on Ubuntu One cloud storage for anything, and what I do have there (a single album I bought a couple years ago) can easily be retrieved and stored elsewhere before the deadline.