topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: General consensus on Free Boxmaker Software?  (Read 3929 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
General consensus on Free Boxmaker Software?
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:02 AM »
General consensus on Free Boxmaker Software?  I read the threads.  Unfortunately I'm at the Public Library.  They screen out almost all downloads.  Even open source stuff like on SourceForge.net.

So I haven't been able to try QuickBox or the other freebies.  When I get on another network I'll be able to download.  But I'm curious if the enthusiasm for these tools has evaporated or one has risen to the top etc..  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: General consensus on Free Boxmaker Software?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Are you talking about the Boxmaker that creates cutting templates for actual boxes or the one that gins up a 3D product box image?

If the second, I don't think it adds much anymore. People are used to purchasing download-only software so I don't think they need the crutch of seeing a 'box' anymore.

But that's just my take. I have noticed, however, that those faux product boxes seem to have disappeard from most software sites.
 :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39 AM »
I seem to have a knack for interest in fads after the bandwagon has been run out of town.  :)

Oh, excuse me.  I just saw a great deal on a turtleneck sweater.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 02:13 PM »
I seem to have a knack for interest in fads after the bandwagon has been run out of town.  :)

Makes two of us, my brother. That makes two of us... ;D

Oh, excuse me.  I just saw a great deal on a turtleneck sweater.  :)

Hey! I've been know to wear them. Even mock turtlenecks! De wimmins luvs 'em! Or at least they did back when I started wearing them.  8)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:16 PM »
But that's just my take. I have noticed, however, that those faux product boxes seem to have disappeard from most software sites.

The fad these days seems to be device mockups, showing screenshots on fake devices. It's much easier to do than box shots, once you have the PSDs. If you want to try it out, this site has plenty of free ones to offer: http://freebiesbug.c...ockups-psd-freebies/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 02:25 PM »
To April's observation above, I'll add that I think screenshots are still one of the most powerful selling tools you can use for software. Most of the FOSS projects now have a very conspicuous <screenshots> button or menu item on their landing page. It's one of the first things I'll look for when considering a new piece of software.

I'm a real interface freak when it comes to GUI apps. If I don't like the way something looks, I'll seldom bother with it no matter how good it is. (Although for some odd reason, I don't apply that same prejudice to terminal-based applications or utilities. Go figure... ;D)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 08:31 PM »
I'm still trying to find the hats worn by those Czekoslovakian Cool Dudes on SNL.  Easy to score with such sophisticated American accoutrements.