ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Inverse filter for white windows

<< < (2/3) > >>

c.gingerich:
Take a look at f.lux. It dims your screen to make it easier on the eyes. Works well IMO. http://justgetflux.com/

JoTo:
Hi cool-RR, (a.k.a. bro in mind),

i'm visually impaired and MUST HAVE light on dark theme. dark on white theme renders unreadable for me because i got blended.

I am doing an everlasting fight with pc and android developers to convince them to offer color customization and/or a dark theme. Cant count the endless amount of emails i wrote already.

I have not found a solution yet. Well, i use Magnifying Glass Pro that can have a screen magnification of 1x for a full screen and applying an inverse (beside some other) filters. It also offers an hotkey or even automatic activation/deactivation of the filter (e.g. when your mouse enters the window or leaves it). But that wont help you much, because you just want a filter that only lasts for some seconds and not all the time.

So i am out of help, but its good to know that i'm not need to feel like an alien because i just like (or in my case need) a dark background with bright font color.

Greetings
JoTo

TaoPhoenix:
However, some programs don't allow you to define a light-on-dark theme. My main culprit is Chrome, who, while it does allow you to define a dark theme and even make websites dark, does show an annoying white screen for ~5 seconds when a site is loaded, which really hurts my eyes.

I want a program that does the following thing: Whenever I'm using any program, I can invoke a keyboard shortcut to activate it. Then, it'll constantly sample the pixels in the window of the active program. If these pixles go over a certain threshold of average brightness, it puts an inverse filter between the program and the screen, so dark colors appear bright and bright colors appear dark.
-cool-RR (April 05, 2014, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got really close to this using themes for Windows via Firefox (because it's what I have the most experience with, I couldn't find the dark themes for Chrome before starting to run out of time for this).

So the basic idea is you can play with having two alternate themes which you toggle with at (for XP) RClickDesktop/Properties/Themes. So then you set the open window colors to be something dark with light text fonts. Then at least on Firefox when I set the dark theme there's a setting that you *uncheck* that says "allow websites to choose their own colors".

If I'm guessing right, you really don't want *true* inverse colors, aka "the opposite of yellow" = some gawdawful color. So my tip revolves around "subdue rather than flip". I also think f.lux is interesting. I had forgotten about it.

Then if you want white colors back, in Windows you have that second (maybe default) theme you just flip back to. It might take a few clicks, aka not as fast as a pure "hotkey" and not as "dynamic" as your original post. But fiddle around with that stuff, because in my half hour of playing I didn't get a single "white" page loading in Firefox when I had all the settings tweaked. (Just because all of this stuff could take a couple hours to ruthlessly optimize, I used dark grey as my test.)

Holler if any of our stuff helps!

cool-RR:
Regarding f.lux: I've been using it for years. It's good. But it doesn't help here. (It does make the white color a bit more bearable, but I need more.)

Regarding Windows themes: I already use an awesome dark theme for Windows 7 that I made. It's great. But the theme has little to do with this case. The theme has no effect on the page color in Chrome.

JoTo: I'm happy to find another fanatic of dark backgrounds :) If you use Chrome, I recommend the Hacker Vision extension.

I still hope that someone could come up with a solution for me...

TaoPhoenix:

Regarding Windows themes: I already use an awesome dark theme for Windows 7 that I made. It's great. But the theme has little to do with this case. The theme has no effect on the page color in Chrome.

JoTo: I'm happy to find another fanatic of dark backgrounds :) If you use Chrome, I recommend the Hacker Vision extension.

I still hope that someone could come up with a solution for me...
-cool-RR (April 08, 2014, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh I used to love Red on Black (I called it "Alien Computer") and Green on Black (The Matrix). But somewere along the line I "got boring" and went back to White...

I can tell almost when I switched because my first NANY had options for all those themes! (And "Commodore 64"!)

Okay, I'll look some more on this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version