ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

VPN/SSH Tunneling software

<< < (2/5) > >>

Josh:
What type of server would I need to setup on my pc to allow me to use tunneling like that in windows xp? I understand how ssh operates, but at the moment I do not have access to a linux box with an ssh server.

f0dder:
What type of server would I need to setup on my pc to allow me to use tunneling like that in windows xp? I understand how ssh operates, but at the moment I do not have access to a linux box with an ssh server.
-Josh (May 23, 2006, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

You will need, ta-da, a SSH server :)
I think there's a win32 port of the OpenSSH project, but I don't know how well it works. There's probably some commercial offerings too, though.

I'm afraid I can't say "it doesn't matter much for a home setting", with the recent exploits for VNC... one of my friends got hacked because of it, but fortunately the hackers were kind enough to shut the VNC ports down in his firewall. He still needs to reinstall a couple of machines though, just in case they have been rootkitted >_<

OGroeger:
You have serveral more possibilities:

* IPSec: Win2k and XP support this, as well as most Linux distribs and Mac Os. But it is complicated.
* OpenVPN (www.openvpn.net): You have one vpn server and vpn clients. It is easier to configure and very flexible. It runs on Win2k and above + Linux + Mac Os.
* hamachi (www.hamachi.cc): The company Applied Networking plays the role of the vpn server for you (not charge). You (the client) define what other clients share an isolated "network". This is the most easy method, but you must believe in Applied network.
Olaf

f0dder:
I'm not too fond of hamachi - central point of failure, and some of their claims sound a bit weird...

taichimaster:
-Josh (May 23, 2006, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use WinSSHD from http://www.bitvise.com

Works great and extremely easy to use, check it out :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version