topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Micro-review: Scapple  (Read 41472 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Micro-review: Scapple
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 03:51 PM »
@peter.s - With all due respect, I have no idea what point you're trying to make with your above comment.

However, I'd like to point out that DoCo is a voluntary community. And these are open discussions where posters and responders are free to post as they wish. This is not a free reference library or consulting service. It is a place to have a discussion and express an opinion or comment in whichever way seems best to the person doing the posting.

If you disagree with  something someone has said, or the way it was said, please feel free to disagree. Your disagreement does not, however, impose any sort of obligation on anyone to respond - nor does it establish a requirement that posts only be made in a form most beneficial to your specific needs. If a product or resource is mentioned, it's generally expected that one does some research on their own if a link isn't provided. A quick google search is usually all that's required, so it's seldom necessary to get into republishing lists of features or links in a post. If you're curious about something like VUE or CMap Tools, it's usually best to do a quick search, go take a look, see what you think, and then come back and ask more focused questions. Almost demanding a list of features or a mini-review on a product - when a visit to the developer's website could provide you with all that information - can come across as being a bit presumptuous to some of your fellows here.

and yes, I feel entitled to speak openly on this matter, with regards to MY communication style...

As do I. And my communication style is to assume the person I'm posting or responding is at least as smart (or smarter) than I am, and would prefer I not presume to spoon feed them information they're capable of looking up for themselves.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of style, and a matter of mutual respect...

Precisely.  ;)

And also a matter of lightening up a bit.  :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 11:16 PM »
((( LIKE )))

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]      [attachimg=#2][/attachimg]

Jim

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Having played a bit more with VUE recently, one area where it might have an edge over Scapple is the way it handles images and file links. You can just drag and drop an image file into the body of VUE and use CTRL+SHIFT+close/open bracket to increase or decrease the size of the image incrementally. in Scapple I wasn't able to change the image size, which becomes a problem if the image contains text that needs to be legible.

Also, you can drag and drop any other file link into VUE, and a link gets created with the name of the file.

Where VUE might be a bit weaker than Scapple is the way the switching between different tools (Select/Node/Link/Rapid Prototyping) is done, which slows things down somewhat. While Rapid Prototyping tries to do it all (i.e. create nodes and links in fast fashion), it's easy to overshoot, and then one needs to backtrack to undo or select other tools to correct things.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 05:41 PM »
I like them both.  ;D But I'm eventually going to decide on one or the other since there's a lot of overlap and I'm trying to streamline my thinkertoy collection as much as possible. 8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Having played a bit more with VUE recently, one area where it might have an edge over Scapple is the way it handles images and file links. You can just drag and drop an image file into the body of VUE and use CTRL+SHIFT+close/open bracket to increase or decrease the size of the image incrementally. in Scapple I wasn't able to change the image size, which becomes a problem if the image contains text that needs to be legible.

I'm trialling Scapple and resizing images works fine here (and it's still version 1.0 which was released in Oct. 2013).

It's polished; very keyboard friendly, but the lack of linking to files might be a dealbreaker for me (as it doesnt look as if they have any plans to update it).

Also, you can drag and drop any other file link into VUE, and a link gets created with the name of the file.

Guess I better try VUE out...
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 10:43 AM »

Guess I better try VUE out...

Unfortunately VUE's shortcuts are unusable with a qwertz keyboard. (I tried changing the VUE language to German in the hopes that the shortcuts might change - but no luck.)
Tom