ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend a 64GB\128GB pendrive

(1/4) > >>

dluby:
Hi,

I am looking to get myself a USB 3.0 pen\thumb drive.  Many of the sites I go to don't specify read\write speeds so I was wondering if someone could recommend a 64\GB or 128GB drive that has a balance of read\write speeds versus the cost?

Are there other factors I should consider?

Thanks

MilesAhead:
I have only purchased one USB 3.0 thumb drive so far.  It's this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211573

On the down side there's no way to attach a lanyard or put it on a keychain as is.  The cap does snap onto the back end though.

On the plus side, copying one large file, say 1 GB from HD onto the USB I consistently got 35 MB/s write speed.  The unit has no moving parts.  After months of rugged service(meaning being in my pocket and sustaining my weight, around 200 LBS) the only damage was the end cap that the cap snaps onto, popped off.  A bit of crazy glue would fix it. Now I keep it in my Laptop shoulder bag.  But I think subjecting it nightly to my body mass as I lay on top of it was a fair test.  :)

So I'm assuming this 64 GB model would be similar:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211731

For $33 and change with 64 GB capacity and free shipping(I assume by media mail snail mail : Edit - no doubt limited to the Continental U.S.) I'm tempted to buy it myself.

The 32 GB model I have as a Macrium Reflect WinPE boot USB.  It boots my Windows 8.0 Laptop fine.

pl5bnsf:
Here is one I have been using, I'm very happy with it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171833

It's $66 so it's on the higher price side for 64GB. But it is retractable and and not very wide (handy on crowded laptop USB slots). I keep it in my pocket and I'm way heavier than MilesAhead indicated he weighs  ;D  It's still in great shape now after close to one year. (Me? I need more exercise...)

Here are my CrystalMark scores for it:

Sequential Read :   192.558 MB/s
          Sequential Write :   168.853 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :   136.808 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :     5.353 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :    10.946 MB/s [  2672.4 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     9.822 MB/s [  2397.9 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     9.689 MB/s [  2365.4 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     4.171 MB/s [  1018.2 IOPS]

MilesAhead:
I keep it in my pocket and I'm way heavier than MilesAhead indicated he weighs
--- End quote ---
 What popped the back off mine was body weight directly on the drive due to sleeping outside.  I tried to shift pocket contents out of harm's way.  But once you're asleep all that goes by the wayside.  :)

I guess the corrugated design is pretty rugged.  The connector is still solidly attached.  :)

Edit: btw those are some serious sequential numbers.  My very first USB was a SanDisk.  I think it died after a dozen uses.  The shell was Titanium but the "sliding guts" design was flimsy.  I go for no moving parts now.  Unless I get an irresistible price I go solid body.  Of course it's all what you get.  If none give you a problem then they are rock solid. :)  Tough to predict with these things.  The flimsy bits tend to be out of view.  :(

Innuendo:
I'd be careful buying any SanDisk flash drives these days. They had a seriously bad run of drives a while back with lots of people reporting drives showing up DOA or dying inexplicably after a few months. I would definitely make sure they've improved things before buying one.

I can recommend the Patriot Rage XT line of drives. They come in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 varieties. Both sport a retractable design so you don't have to worry about losing a cap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version