topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Forget about resume if Pale Moon crashes  (Read 7996 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Forget about resume if Pale Moon crashes
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Subject line says it.  About a third through getting Mint 17 Pale Moon says it's not responding.  Window goes away and so does 400+ MB of download.  This is crap I'd expect from Windows 16 bit.  The more things don't really change...  :)

Using Download Statusbar didn't help a wit.

Edit:  Trying FF 27.0 portable with DSB.  See how it goes.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Forget about resume if Pale Moon crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Well, there's probably a less wise-ass way to say this, but anyway... there's a thick line between download managers and browsers.

Sorry for the prick response :P Condolences otherwise.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Well, there's probably a less wise-ass way to say this, but anyway... there's a thick line between download managers and browsers.

Sorry for the prick response :P Condolences otherwise.

Yup.

Here's the less wise-ass response: :P

Anytime I pull something large (i.e 1GB and up) from the web I always run it through Free Download Manager. There's a FF plug-in available. Chrome too last I looked. As long as the site supports resuming you'll be good to go. Only time it doesn't work is if you wait too long to resume. Some sites only keep your placeholder live for a certain length of time even when resume is supported. If it expires, you're out of luck. I've only run into a few sites where that happens however.

FDM includes a decent enough torrent client. Can also be set up as a portable app. Very handy.

FDM. We like! :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34 PM »
and here's the wide-ass response...: use http://www.linuxmint...m/edition.php?id=158

I don't remember Pale Moon crashing, and I don't know how to make it do it at my command, so instead I restarted after 400MB of the 1.2GB Mint download. No problem, the download went on as if nothing had happened. Can I crash Pale Moon on purpose?
:tellme:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:43 PM »
and here's the wide-ass response...: use http://www.linuxmint...m/edition.php?id=158

I don't remember Pale Moon crashing, and I don't know how to make it do it at my command, so instead I restarted after 400MB of the 1.2GB Mint download. No problem, the download went on as if nothing had happened. Can I crash Pale Moon on purpose?
:tellme:

Evidently someone can.  I have FDM installed and used it for years.  But there was no speed improvement over DSB.  I just downloaded in FF Portable with no problem whatever.

I guess I should just go with 32 bit FF installed for default browser instead of being hung up on x64.  Every Mozilla FF x64 installer I tried the browser was a dog.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Got rid of Pale Moon and put on FF 29 32 bit as default.

Now FDM automatically is in use.  btw I like Theme Font and Size Changer.
https://addons.mozil...e-font-size-changer/

Having Tab and menu fonts in bold and a bit larger is much easier on the eyes. Also effects dialog box text.  Nice and simple.

Edit: The trouble with running Linux is, if nothing breaks there's nothing to fix.  Windows provides job security.   :Thmbsup:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:48 PM »

Yeah...Download Statusbar just shows the download information of your browser in a different format. It doesn't offer any download manager capabilities, but....you know that now. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24 PM »

Yeah...Download Statusbar just shows the download information of your browser in a different format. It doesn't offer any download manager capabilities, but....you know that now. :)

The weird thing is it downloads as fast as FDM.  That seems peculiar but I tried it a bunch of times.  Oh well, it's more the instability of PM that was the problem.

Edit:  Likely it's because the WiFi provider is only allowing one connection.  When I was on a wired network FDM was worth using.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Perhaps it's because I'm using the 32-bit version of Pale Moon on my Win 7 64-bit computer, but I simply haven't had problems with downloading files of any size with DSB.  I don't even think about it, that's how unproblematic my experience has been.  (For a while, I had both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of Pale Moon on the computer, using the 64-bit except when some software wanted the 32-bit.  I finally decided it was silly to have both, and I chose to keep the 32-bit, but I don't recall encountering any download problems while I was using the 64-bit version.)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 10:06 PM »
FWIW, graphical browsers crashing happens in *NIX too -- I've taken to using command line tools for large downloads (e.g. wget, aria2c, etc.).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:33 AM »
Perhaps it's because I'm using the 32-bit version of Pale Moon on my Win 7 64-bit computer, but I simply haven't had problems with downloading files of any size with DSB.  I don't even think about it, that's how unproblematic my experience has been.  (For a while, I had both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of Pale Moon on the computer, using the 64-bit except when some software wanted the 32-bit.  I finally decided it was silly to have both, and I chose to keep the 32-bit, but I don't recall encountering any download problems while I was using the 64-bit version.)

I believe you.  That's why I was unpleasantly surprised I suppose.  Usually if I get the faded look to Pale Moon I wait a couple of seconds and it catches up.  This particular time it just gave the dialog and closed.  Pretty weird.

I have had some weird things with DSB if I pause and try to resume later though.  If the next time I load the browser and click resume it doesn't make the connection, it's like saving the file.paart etc does me zero.  I tried feeding into FDM also.  Pretty strange it wouldn't pick up next time I could connect.  It just fills in the progressbar for the file and after that nothing can be done with it.  Pretty funky for a resume methodology it seems to me.  :)  Like a David Letterman Weird Net Trick.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48 AM »
.... I simply haven't had problems with downloading files of any size with DSB. ...

I'm just curious and thought you may know the answer.  I have FF 30 installed and FF 27 Portable.  Both use DSB 2.14.  FF 30 will just show the popup and if I click save file, it downloads to the designated folder and numbers the filename on name clash.  FF 27 shows the popup and if I click save file it shows a SaveAs dialog with or without a name clash.

I can't seem to find any setting that controls it.  I pasted all DSB settings from the clipboard in an editor to search.  Maybe it's a FF setting but I didn't notice anything in about:config.  But I may not know what to look for. It's no big deal.  But it would be nice if I could toggle it at will.  :)

Edit:  Found it.  It just works off FF setting "always ask me where to save files."  One minor mystery erased.  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:56 AM by MilesAhead »