topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Help please! - Unable to install MS SQL Express 2012 on laptop.  (Read 45075 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help please! - Unable to install MS SQL Express 2012 on laptop.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 09:46 PM »
@x16wda + @Shades:
Thanks for the suggestion/reminder. I meant to check  the Powershell version. Here 'tis: (not identical to what @x16wda gave, but same S/V)
Code: Text [Select]
  1. Name                           Value                                                                                
  2. ----                           -----                                                                                
  3. PSVersion                      3.0                                                                                  
  4. WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                  
  5. SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                              
  6. CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.18444                                                                      
  7. BuildVersion                   6.2.9200.16481                                                                        
  8. PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0}                                                                      
  9. PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.2

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 11:06 PM »
from my experience, dotnet runtimes are easily broken and a repair/reinstall might help. the following links are useful and i have used them in the past.

http://blogs.msdn.co...eshooting-guide.aspx
http://singularlabs....osoft-net-framework/

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 02:31 AM »
Was there any log files written to folders under C:\Program Files\Micrsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log ?

Supposedly they're written at each attempted installation and contain a lot more information, an example of the logs are in this thread.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 08:31 AM »
from my experience, dotnet runtimes are easily broken and a repair/reinstall might help. the following links are useful and i have used them in the past.

http://blogs.msdn.co...eshooting-guide.aspx
http://singularlabs....osoft-net-framework/

I'm going to +1 this just to draw a bit more attention to it. I've been quietly watching this thread for awhile because I haven't had a lot of SQL installs go bad, so didn't have much to add. However I have been wondering about exactly this, as I have seen .NET flake out and cause all sorts of havoc, which necessitated ripping it out by the roots and starting over. I suspect that the removal tool - one of my favorites - is well worth exploring as it has gotten me out of several tight spots much like what is being described here.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 08:54 AM »
@lanux128:
Figuring that it couldn't hurt, I ran the repair tool from Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center
(Supports repairing the .NET Framework 4.5.1, 4.5, 4 and 3.5 SP1 (includes .NET 3.0 SP2 and .NET 2.0 SP2).
Then I reran the 02 SQLEXPR_x64_ENU - v11.0.3000.0 (Express DB only 64-bit).exe
Result: It still abended with the same error as before.

@4wd: I do not have a directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log
(You missed out an "o" in "Microsoft" there.)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 06:31 PM »
(You missed out an "o" in "Microsoft" there.)

The joys of Cut/Paste ...