topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need help coding website with music and database  (Read 4860 times)

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need help coding website with music and database
« on: March 26, 2014, 08:06 AM »

So I have a really cool idea for a website (I think it is anyway) and basic web skills.

This is what it might look like http://www.jsongs.comuv.com/

So, songwriters load demo songs, they get their own page with the songs on them and each song gets it's own page.
That can be done in HTML. I don't predict will get too big so it won't be too hard to manually manage.
BUT on the homepage, it wants a shuffle music player so people listening to a song can skip until they find something they like.
Which means that the song need to be in a database so that they can be shuffled then the corresponging song, songname, artist and artist pic can be dynamically loaded.
I can handle the Javascript (just) but then I need PHP or somthing to work the database.
I was hoping to work out something that will run on an Access database since I have enough troubles without SQL.

Can someone point me in the right direction on which set of languages to use?
Keep in mind that, if it is successful, I want it so that artists still have to be manually set up and screened, but after that they can add songs easily and the song pages will be dynamically created.

Thanks,
Fred

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need help coding website with music and database
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 02:31 PM »
You might want to check out the Bandcamp website for some ideas. They're doing something very similar to what you're planning.

Take a look at this page for an example of how an individual artist appears there. (She's a fellow CBG crony of sorts. I like her.  :mrgreen:)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:35 PM »
Also, SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com

- Oshyan

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Thanks,
@40hz, your friend has a great voice.
Those sites are both for finished product. This will be for demos only. It will be public, but only targeted to industry people. As such, I'm not too worried about the front end.
It's the actual code to run the database that I need to work out.

I need to know what language is best to do it in so I can go out and learn it quick, quick.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Ah...I see.

Well good luck with it. FWIW I think the front end is quite important to "industry" and AR types when it comes to music sites. At least from my experience doing music professionally for more years than I'd care to admit. But that's only the people in the music industry I've personally dealt with - so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. ;D :Thmbsup:

----
Addendum: the link in you OP doesn't seem to want to load. Is that just me?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:11 PM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:39 PM »
This forum seems worth a look
http://forums.devshed.com/