topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pale Moon 4 Linux  (Read 8665 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pale Moon 4 Linux
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:11 AM »
For anyone that's interested, Pale Moon is now being compiled for Linux in both x86 and x64 builds.

PM4Linux

Description

Pale Moon is an open source, web browser based on Firefox focusing on efficiency by leaving out unnecessary features and making optimizations, while maintaining compatibility with Firefox extensions and themes.

Pale Moon provides a familiar set of controls and visual feedback similar to previous versions of Firefox, including grouped navigation buttons, a bookmarks toolbar that is enabled by default, tabs next to page content by default, and a functional status bar.

This is a third party build; the original project is at www.palemoon.org. For support, check out the wiki at http://pm4linux.sf.net/wiki and the forum at http://forum.palemoon.org.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pale Moon 4 Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58 PM »
Just installed it.

A few YouTube pages that give FF big stones on this machine are working perfectly under PaleMoon.

Very promising. Gonna have to put it through it's paces today. Thx for sharing. :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 05:54 PM »
If you want a little easier granular control over some of the settings in it, (and Firefox), give the Pale Moon Commander add-on a try.

Scratch that, it's not compatible with the Linux version according to the forum thread here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:09 PM by 4wd »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Using it for a while now - and liking it! :Thmbsup:

If it makes it through the week without a showstopper it'll be my new default browser for Nix. :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 05:50 AM »
I haven't had much success setting it up to "Always use private browsing mode" -- at least it doesn't look like it's working.

Steps I followed:

-Bring up preferences
-Select the Privacy section
-Select the drop down next to "Pale Moon will" and choose "Use custom settings for history"
-Ensure the checkbox below "Always use private browsing mode" is checked
-Click on the "Close" button at the bottom right of the dialog

After I restart and view the preferences again, I don't get the sense that the previous settings stuck.

Any one else tried this?

FWIW, it looks like I'm using Pale Moon 24.5.0.

My impression about it not working is likely off -- I think I misunderstood what I was seeing :-[
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:20 AM by ewemoa, Reason: Reinterpreted signs :) »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 07:50 AM »
If it makes it through the week without a showstopper it'll be my new default browser for Nix.

Okay, so...which week does it have to make it through? Its been two ... Pass, fail, kill it with fire?  :tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 08:22 AM »
If it makes it through the week without a showstopper it'll be my new default browser for Nix.

Okay, so...which week does it have to make it through? Its been two ... Pass, fail, kill it with fire?  :tellme:
-Stoic Joker (May 03, 2014, 07:50 AM)

I've since moved all my bookmarks and prefs over to PM.

Does that answer the question? :P

More seriously, it looks to be a keeper. Or at least as far as this version goes. I qualify my response becauseI used to really like FF too. Or at least I did until it started getting broken - by its own devs.  :-\