ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

*NIX: Favorite GUI File Managers?

<< < (4/5) > >>

ewemoa:
One dual-pane alternative for Gnome/Cinnamon/MATE users is sunflower-fm. I have it installed for those times when dual-pane is the best way to go.
-40hz (March 19, 2014, 01:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Their project page mentions:

Currently this project is still in its early alpha stage.

--- End quote ---

...but it at least looks pleasant :)

One thing really nice is that Sunflower has an embedded system terminal you can open in a tab within the file manager.

--- End quote ---

That does sound nice -- I wonder if at some point they'll go for displaying in the same tab as a file / directory listing with synchronizing the current directory.

40hz:
I wonder if at some point they'll go for displaying in the same tab as a file / directory listing with synchronizing the current directory.
-ewemoa (March 19, 2014, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would be handy. Maybe somebody could suggest it? They devs are on Google+ here.

I'd do it myself - except 40hz doesn't do Google+ for reasons not worth cluttering up this thread getting into. ;) 8)

ewemoa:
I don't do Google+ either.

My sense is that the idea is likely to come up at some point if it hasn't already :)

ewemoa:
Sunflower is surviving here :)

Some nice points:

* Handy to use the "Command entry" field to start an HTTP daemon (e.g. mongoose) for quickly making some files available.
* Somehow the candidates that come up for "Open with" are more to my liking than with the analogous in SpaceFM.
* Breadcrumb navigation is unobtrusive - works by clicking on an appropriate portion of a displayed path.
Some puzzlement:

* Failed to locate a way to change the currently showing directory via editing a text field representing a path. - Clicking on the folder icon next to the path seems to help :)
* Control-selecting something after some row is already highlighted doesn't appear to include the already-highlighted row in the ultimate selection.
Appear to be using 0.1a (58), FWIW.

tosim:
I've used several of those mentioned here, but finally settled on DoubleCommander. I particularly like that it lets me change the attributes of files and folders. .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version