topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: No eMail Notification When Using QuickReply  (Read 10773 times)

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No eMail Notification When Using QuickReply
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:37 AM »
There doesn't seem to be an option on the forum to make subscription to threads when replying the default.  This is a bit annoying but the real problem occurs if you use the Quick Reply option to a thread because you are not even given the subscription option via a checkbox.

Forums on other websites will subscribe via Quick Reply so there is a habit of using that functionality.  I often find myself returning to the forum, trying to remember where I have left replies & manually searching for them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:43 AM by skywalka »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: No eMail Notification When Using QuickReply
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:15 AM »
i'm sort of a novice to the subscribing stuff.. can you explain a bit more what you'd like to be able to do.
(ps. there is a link up top near where it says "Greetings" that let's you view "new replies to your posts")

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:35 AM »
I believe the problem here is that when you have the option "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" in your profile, you don't get notified of posts on a thread where you posted with "quick reply" and not with the normal "reply".

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 03:45 AM »
I believe the problem here is that when you have the option "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" in your profile, you don't get notified of posts on a thread where you posted with "quick reply" and not with the normal "reply".
I don't think we have that setting on this board.  That is part of what I was asking for.  We should have that option so that we don't have to remember to to tick the subscribe box.

The main point is that the Quick Reply has no subscribe box.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 04:01 AM »
Oh.. If you always subscribe to posts you reply, you really should check the option i mentioned!
It's under (profile and membership) -> (Notifications and Email) ->  (Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic).

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 07:40 AM »
There is no section called "Notifications and Email" under "Profile & Membership" for me.

Maybe it is because I am not a member?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Maybe it is because I am not a member?
:( I have no idea... Maybe that's a question for mouser.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 01:37 PM »
i'm looking into the quick reply notification thing, i don't kknow why it wouldn't behave just like regular reply.

as far as notifications and email under profile&membership,
it seems i did not enable this for non donating members, but i have now.

actually i need to say that this is crazy that this was not enabled because it meant it was impossible to follow the instructions about how to disable the newsletter for non-donating members, which was not my intention  >:(

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 01:40 PM »
i'm looking into the quick reply notification thing, i don't know why it wouldn't behave just like regular reply.
I think it was me who mentioned that. I was just guessing. I'm not sure that's the problem here, i think skywalka just would like to have a checkbox next to the "post" button on the quick reply. (since he can't even have that option enabled, that can't be the problem)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:41 PM »
as far as notifications and email under profile&membership,
it seems i did not enable this for non donating members, but i have now.
Why?

IMHO, you should leave some forum-related benefits for people who donate. It was one of the reasons I made my first donation here by the way.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 08:16 PM »
My problem was the Quick Reply was useless because I would not be subscribed if I used it.  Now that I've enabled the setting to automatically subscribe I would think that if I use Quick Reply I will be subscribed. :Thmbsup: 

Thanx Mouser.

ps The Maxthon forum has a subscribe checkbox within the Quick Reply since they recently upgraded their forum software.  Because I couldn't subscribe automatically I was suggesting something similar.  I probably won't need it now but I do think it is optimum.

brotherS, I think anyone who takes the time to post deserves to be informed of replies because they are contributing to the community with their time.  Everybody benefits.  Forum functionality is about as basic a service as you can get on the web.