ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

jv16 PowerTools - using Indiegogo to 'fund'' open-sourcing it

<< < (4/5) > >>

Vurbal:
It's more a political or philosophical thing. It's not a business model.
--- End quote ---
Not true. GNU says exactly opposite, they don't mind selling the software copies or raising funds for the software. If selling is allowed then it is business model too.
-mahesh2k (March 14, 2014, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think we have very different definitions of what constitutes a business model. ;D Suggesting and encouraging developers to 'charge something somehow' is not the same thing as having a business model.

Using the FOSS development philosophy can be an element in a business strategy. But that's not the same thing as being a model for conducting business - even though there have been numerous attempts to come up with business models that capitalize on using the GPL as part of their overall strategy.

Note: The best formal analysis I've ever seen for the "open software" development process was by a guy called Benkler who came up with the term "commons-based peer production." It's an interesting idea that gets into the whole concept of 'emergence' as it applies to economics. It's all rather fascinating to read and think about.

The jury is still out as to whether this process marks the start of a 'sea change' in economics as opposed to being merely a temporary phenomenon. But only time will tell.  8) :Thmbsup:

-40hz (March 14, 2014, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

To quote Mike Masnick, "Give it away and pray isn't a business model."

paulobrabo:
Now he took the money and disappeared, leaving behind his own child (jv16 PowerTools) just like this without a word and also abandoning all of us, users of his software and, worse, trying to still make more money by sending us emails proposing to buy platinum licences of the software, well knowing that people buying it will never receive the licences nor any support.

Here:
Developer Jouni Flemming is living in Thailand
http://www.macecraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5555&p=33784#p33784

Actually the developer of jv16 PowerTools (Jouni Flemming) is living in Thailand (since april 2014) as appears from the following link provided by member Vasek.

http://www.meetup.com/Chiang-Mai-Biohacking-Meetup/members/140922292/

Other members of the Macecraft staff (like Veera Peltonen) have been laid off.

Read this post of member BlackSteak.
http://www.macecraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5554#p33781

Nobody must doubt the jv16 PowerTools story is finished and there will never be an open source version of this software.

Jouni Flemming always wanted to be (very) rich (as appears from his own words in the following link).

http://jv16.org/

Now he took the money and disappeared, leaving behind his own child (jv16 PowerTools) just like this without a word and also abandoning all of us, users of his software and, worse, trying to still make more money by sending us emails proposing to buy platinum licences of the software, well knowing that people buying it will never receive the licences nor any support.

This could be qualified as swindle.
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
I had the feeling that this would be the end of this story.  And another blow is dealt to the idea of crowdfunding in the minds of the masses.

40hz:
I had the feeling that this would be the end of this story.  And another blow is dealt to the idea of crowdfunding in the minds of the masses.
-wraith808 (July 29, 2014, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup.

BTW...is it just me...or do about half the comments posted on the campaign site read like astroturf? :-\

superboyac:
-wraith808 (July 29, 2014, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup.

BTW...is it just me...or do about half the comments posted on the campaign site read like astroturf? :-\
-40hz (July 29, 2014, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
no not just you. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version