topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Question  (Read 9857 times)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question
« on: June 02, 2005, 04:48 PM »
Sorry, dont mean to be a retard, but any word on a new version?  The more I use FindRun the more I like it, but the more annoying become the small problems.  In particular: losing focus (getting hidden behind opening apps if you try to open two apps in quick succession) and  multiple entries (seems I'm getting swamped by duplicates even though I have the suppress duplicates option checked), and the quick update feature/curse (people could probably haggle over this one ad nausea!).

I noticed the thread on hotkey managers in the "Living Room."  Just wondering if you are still planning on implementing this in FindRun.  This isnt nearly as big a deal as the above, just a question I had after reading the other discussion. 

Like I said, i dont mean to be pushy!  It's just these sharp edges on an otherwise smooth program give me papercuts every now and then!  Thanks,

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:16 PM »
please don't give up on F&R,
i understand completely what you mean about frustrations, and i imagine they must be growing.
the last thing i want to do is alienate the loyal users of F&R who have been waiting so long for an update.
it's hard not to be tempted away to work on new programs..

i'll tell you what, my plan was to add some serious new features to F&R, and that's been hanging me up a bit..
but.. let me suspend the new cheat sheeter app for a couple days and try to work on F&R and the review this week, as of now.

hopefully you can help me test it in the next few days as i imagine it will require some real testing to figure out some of this stuff.
the losing foreground focus problem i struggled with originally, but lately i had to solve the program for another app in a different way, so let me see if i can use that technique in F&R.

i've probably forgotten some of the issues we've talked about.
i'll look back over this thread - kfitting if you feel like giving me a summary of bugs and what priority you would put fixing them in, i will follow your pirority list exactly.

let's not add new substantial features yet (like dir search and what i really want to add, logical or feature for multiple keywords), but concentrate on tweaking F&R to fix these bugs.

hopefully we can get them fixed in next couple days, ok :)
you waited long enough.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Not a problem.  I just dont want to be that whiner on the forum going "You arent making your software the way I want it fast enough!"  So please let me know if I get annoying!  However, I do think that FindRun is an excellant program and though i have thought about going back to other software, it's only for a split second because no other app does what FindRun does... especially as cleanly!  Give me a few hours (I have some other things I want to get done here at home) and I'll reply in this thread with some of the major "bugs" I've found.  I dont have a problem with not adding new things... that would be great, but also much more time consuming.  Besides it is better to fix what is here rather than create new goodies that still dont work quite right!  So... I'll be back.

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 06:33 PM »
its def. my fault - i have been meaning to update F&R for months, i just keep putting it off.

here are the bugs ive found looking through the posts:

when unchecking "start auto with window", its checked again on restart.
executing with Short File Names causes opera confusion (always use long?)
not remembering window location?
browse button when adding folders/files
ability to launch apps into background (minimized?)
remove duplicates isnt working 100% (lnk files not removed?)
save and load dif config files doesnt work right.
loses window focus sometimes, break key no longer works when this happens.

as i understand it, the top priority bugfixes from your standpoint are the focus issue and the duplicates.
duplicates shouldnt be hard to solve once i understand what causes it.
focus may be painful to try to fix but i'm going to try.

i think im just going to remove the ability to save different config file names - i think it just adds confusion and is not helpful.

can you explain to me the focus issue one last time so i can really get a handle on the behavior?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 06:36 PM »
also, maybe you can describe again an example of the duplicates it finds, and see if you detect any difference, like difference in uppercase/lowercase..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 06:53 PM »
never mind duplicates, i can see it here clearly now - i must have broken it with the past recent updates that changed the way shortcuts were launched.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 06:55 PM »
Ok.  Here is my list, after removing the duplicates I found.  While we are listing the bug fixes, figured we could go ahead and make of list of desired things.  Is there any way to make one thread for bugs and another for wishlist?  And make it so that there is a list at the top of the thread with all the current items?  I envision something where people could write a reply with a feature request and then you or another moderator could decide if the feature request/bug "deserves" to be put at the top.  This would save having to read through pages of people chatting just to see if things have already been requested.  Sorry, rambled there...

Bugs:
- Refresh rate of GUI is too high (according to me).  An adjustable refresh rate would be nice.
- Focus is lost too easily: Start FR, launch an app.  While that app is opening start FR again to launch a second app.  Now the first app comes up, relegating FR to the background with no hope of rescue!  [FR should always be on top. (?)]
- This may be just me.  Having trouble launching the lnk for CDBurnerXP Pro 3 (have to laugh after having read that program naming thread... this one has most of the cliches!  Decent piece of software though.).  No other lnk files seem to give trouble however.
- Posted by mario_a: You might want to mention somewhere in the Help file that the "-tray" command line parameter launches the main program (FindAndRunRobot.exe) in tray mode.
- Posted by mario_a: On the "Configuration" tab of the Options window, all items except "Stop search exact alias match" show help text on the status bar when the mouse is hovered over them. (my version shows the "start automatically with windows" help)
- When right clicking on the column header there is an entry with target spelled "tagret."

Wishlist: (Just for organizational purposes, not next release)
- launch urls from GUI (ie type: www.google.com or google.com to go to open your browser and go to google)
- Hotkeys (like win+c opens opera... my favorite hotkey!)
- change which columns to show and order in GUI
- browse button in GUI for choosing folders to search
- posted by piedone: maybe it would also be possbile to search for something...and when you find it...to assign it an alias...for easy finding. click right mouse button on a result and assign it a name....; next search...it can be also found by that alias.
- Posted by nudone:  could you implement a feature that allowed searches to be done. say, type 'g vintage cars' and up pops google with the search completed for 'vintage cars'.
- What about regular expressions?

Kevin

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 06:59 PM »
Did I answer the focus question fully?  Also, I will be around some tomorrow morning, but then from mid afternoon till Saturday afternoonish I will be working overtime at work... something about getting bugs fixed before the next round of testing begins ;)  But, I will to attempt to try any betas when i have time.  Thanks, and let me know if you have any other questions,

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 07:13 PM »
ok let me work on this stuff and see what i can get fixed.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 07:14 PM »
we will do a wish list thread after the bugs are fixed,
i am very open to adding some smart stuff in the next version and adding features like being able to do things like using F&R to launch web pages, run scripts, etc.