topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dumb question but ...  (Read 11320 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dumb question but ...
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Dumb question but I'm wondering why when I run Camera on my Laptop I get the same perspective as when I look in the mirror?  In other words, since it's video and not a mirror I would expect the display to show me as others see me, not reversed.  If I pick up my right hand and wave, it shows in the video as my "left hand" just as if it were a plain reflection.  Strikes me as strange.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dumb question but ...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57 AM »
may be, but that is how we see you;
when you lift your right hand, I am seeing it to your left
from where I am situated.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13 AM »
sorry, my first post was too hasty and superficial

-------------

Now I am your camera
when you look at me, I am not looking at me but at you
It may seem that you and I are looking in opposite directions
when you look to the left, I will look to the right
Well, how come I am not looking down, when you are looking up?
- "Strikes me as strange" -
When you are looking to the left, you are not looking to the right
- eh, that sounds stupid to even mention -
but it is the point!
We are not looking in opposite directions,
we are just looking from different positions!
we are both looking at different targets, and from different locations
So it would be more strange, if what we saw, were the same.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Dumb question but I'm wondering why when I run Camera on my Laptop I get the same perspective as when I look in the mirror?  In other words, since it's video and not a mirror I would expect the display to show me as others see me, not reversed.  If I pick up my right hand and wave, it shows in the video as my "left hand" just as if it were a plain reflection.  Strikes me as strange.

Just tried my camera.  When I lift my right hand, the image of me lifts his right hand as well, which is on the left side of the screen.

It is not a mirror image.

Maybe your camera settings include a flop-image?  Mine does not but it would sure make combing ones hair easier.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:39 PM by crabby3, Reason: typo »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:33 AM »
If I try that my camera just shuts down — it's too frightened by what it sees  :(

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:36 AM »
HI MilesAhead, not a dumb question.

I too have this peculiar problem in my Dell Win 8 Touch.

When I start 'camera' from metro it shows as if I am sitting before a mirror. When I touch the screen to take the screen shot, it saves the image flipped horizontally.

I searched and downloaded many utilities including some from Dell, but till date I do not have courage to install any. I have accepted it as default behavior. I can manipulate a screen shot image if I like.

Regards,

Anand

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:02 PM »
My first inclination is to suspect the webcam software may be flipping the image for local display but sending it the right way around to other programs. That would be the first thing I'd check anyway.

If that's the case, hopefully there would be some sort of settings you could adjust to control that behavior, although that doesn't appear to be the case for a Dell webcam under Windows 8. A quick search suggests they dropped their Webcam Central program for Windows 8 in favor of reliance on the Microsoft Camera app.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:00 AM »

If that's the case, hopefully there would be some sort of settings you could adjust to control that behavior, although that doesn't appear to be the case for a Dell webcam under Windows 8. A quick search suggests they dropped their Webcam Central program for Windows 8 in favor of reliance on the Microsoft Camera app.

Yes that's what I found out about Dell. For Win7 they have the webcam utility and some suggested to use it. I downloaded it, and also drivers from Dell, but till date am afraid to run any on Win8, lest my webcam just stops.

If other people see me correct in the webcam, I do not have in any problem to manipulate captured images.

Regards,

Anand

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:32 AM »
If I try that my camera just shuts down — it's too frightened by what it sees  :(
-cranioscopical (March 11, 2014, 10:33 AM)

Aiiyyy!!  I just had my picture taken this morning.  It's more horrible than anything you can imagine.   All I can compare it to is if Clint Eastwood had a mustache, was deceased, allowed to rot for 2 months, and propped up in a chair.  Then he'd look almost as bad as this photo. 

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35 AM »
My first inclination is to suspect the webcam software may be flipping the image for local display but sending it the right way around to other programs. That would be the first thing I'd check anyway.

Unfortunately the settings consist of Video Mode on/off and the bit depth.  That's it.  No flip or rotate.  I guess I need to download some desktop freeware.  But it definitely is a mirror image. 

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 03:22 PM »

Aiiyyy!!  I just had my picture taken this morning.  It's more horrible than anything you can imagine.   All I can compare it to is if Clint Eastwood had a mustache, was deceased, allowed to rot for 2 months, and propped up in a chair.  Then he'd look almost as bad as this photo. 

Perhaps you should have checked yourself in your "webcam mirror" first. :-P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 03:26 PM »

Perhaps you should have checked yourself in your "webcam mirror" first. :-P

The opportunity was not extended.  They click you at your worst.. like when you blink.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42 AM »

Ha ha ha ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I installed YawCam.  It doesn't give the 16x9 of the App. But the image is the right way around at least.  :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I installed YawCam.  It doesn't give the 16x9 of the App. But the image is the right way around at least.  :)

So is your non-mirror self looking better?  My test video of me was alarming. ;D  Guess you're satisfied with YawCam?  I see one needs Java for it to work. :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 01:18 PM »

So is your non-mirror self looking better?  My test video of me was alarming. ;D  Guess you're satisfied with YawCam?  I see one needs Java for it to work. :(

I don't really do anything other than check how good a shave I got that morning.  I haven't seen how the output looks from another computer.  One criticism, it seems like unsupported resolutions cause it to just go away.  There's probably more sophisticated freeware out there for Windows.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 01:36 PM »
There's probably more sophisticated freeware out there for Windows.

Lots of freeware for Windows out there but I couldn't find any for real-time video... just pre-recorded stuff.
I did read about one that flips a video, plays the frames in reverse order, from the end to the beginning.  Who the hell would want that?   ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 11:13 AM »
There's probably more sophisticated freeware out there for Windows.

Lots of freeware for Windows out there but I couldn't find any for real-time video... just pre-recorded stuff.
I did read about one that flips a video, plays the frames in reverse order, from the end to the beginning.  Who the hell would want that?   ;D

That reminds me of a regular feature on the old Steve Allen Show.  He would do some stupid stuff, like slide down a rope, shoot arrows into a target, break a dozen eggs, throw jugglers pins behind his back into a basket etc..  then play the film backwards.  The pins would jump out of the basket into his hand behind his back, eggs come together, arrows jump from target to the bow, then he'd put them in the quiver... when done he slid up the rope.  Pretty cool because he always had in mind how it would look backwards.

Read your profile but I couldn't tell if you're old enough to know who Steve Allen was.  :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Read your profile but I couldn't tell if you're old enough to know who Steve Allen was.  :)

Yes I know who Steve Allen was.  I grew up watching Alan King on The Ed Sullivan Show.  Which aired directly opposite Steve Allen.   :)
My family was more interested in variety than slapstick.

The TV is full of this type of video editing.  It was cool, the first few times I saw it but not now.  Old hat.
If a show I'm watching starts this rewind stuff it only stays on that channel for about 2 seconds.   ;D  I'm sure their sponsors would love to hear this.

p.s.  I believe The Steve Allen Show was taped so it should have been relatively easy to rewind stuff.  Even back then.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Like the old kid TV show host (Sandy Becker? Chuck McCann? Fred Hall? Sonny Fox? - it was one of them) used to do with his character Mr. Backwards. ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Like the old kid TV show host (Sandy Becker? Chuck McCann? Fred Hall? Sonny Fox? - it was one of them) used to do with his character Mr. Backwards. ;D

What was the joke?  Professor Backwards was killed in a mugging today in NYC.  Passers by ignored his cries of "pleh, pleh."

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Yeah, Steve Allen did plenty of schtick.  But what I liked as a kid were the "man in the street" interviews.  He had quite a crew with Tim Conway, Louis Nye, Tom Poston and several others who went on to do TV comedy for quite some years.

Later on I appreciated the jazz musicians he had on.  Also talent like Lenny Bruce, Jack Kerouac etc..