ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is my desktop email client breaking mail message headers?

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
I've found out that my email client on my desktop computer is doing something like breaking up the mail message headers prior to downloading.  This is causing a problem with my spam detection, and since the antispam plugin is seeing blank headers, all my emails are going to the junk box.  I can't seem to find where the issue is.

Here's my setup:
The Bat! client
Antispam Sniper
Bitdefender Free Antivirus

Now, all this started happening 2/17.  At first I thought it was Bitdefender, because previous to that I was using MSE.  But I installed Bitdefender on 2/19, so that's not it.
Other than that, I can't tell what else I could have possibly done on that date.
Antispam Sniper is flagging everything as spam because it triggers the blank From.  But it's not ASS's fault, it is doing the right thing.  Something else is causing the headers to break up before it even gets to ASS.

I haven't changed any windows firewall settings.

Any suggestions?

Innuendo:
Depending on how motivated you are, you could either fire up WireShark to monitor the data stream or you could start simple and just use a different email client to retrieve your mail once and observe the results.

superboyac:
Depending on how motivated you are, you could either fire up WireShark to monitor the data stream or you could start simple and just use a different email client to retrieve your mail once and observe the results.
-Innuendo (March 09, 2014, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know what Wireshark is, but I just downloaded and will give it a try.

I was so certain it was Bitdefender, but then why did it start 2 days earlier?  And I didn't really install anything else around that time that I can tell.

Innuendo:
WireShark, to give a simplified explanation, lets you take a look at the raw data packets and analyze them as they enter and leave your computer. It's got a bit of a learning curve to it so it may not be something you have the time or energy to invest in.

Are the usual headers blank or are extra blank headers being added?

4wd:
Maybe start off with Nirsoft SmartSniff ?

Since POP3 is a text protocol, it might be a little easier to get running and understand compared to WireShark.

Just had a thought, if your email server uses TLS/SSL, (eg. Google), then you'll get very little in the way of human readable data through packet capture.

eg. Here's a packet capture from GMail:

Why is my desktop email client breaking mail message headers?

Randomised munging instigated by me :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version