ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

*NIX: Relatively Minimal Host OS for VirtualBox Use

<< < (9/17) > >>

mateek:
@ewemoa - Thanks for inspiring me to give your steps a shot with the debian net-install.  1. Boot from iso-on-USB (dd-ed to USB memory)
2. Run the text installer and at the tasksel step unselect everything
3. After rebooting, install the sudo package and add the non-root user to the sudo group (then relogin)
4. Tell apt-get to install the virtualbox and xinit packages and accept the installation of the additional packages
5. Add the non-root user to the vboxusers group
6. Reboot for the VirtualBox modules to load (modprobe might work instead)
7. Log in and use startx to start X
8. From an xterm, start VirtualBox
9. Test run a guest OS
--- End quote ---
I've never seen it, but somebody ought to host a forum just for installs with nothing installed and devoted to one job as you proposed.  I knew what I was getting into, and I've run into a full dead-end in my startx, but I've learned a TON, and recalled a TON.  I hadn't done much with linux command-line in about five years, and never had enough time to do very much with it anyway.  At first I couldn't do without sudo, and found I wasn't on the internet when I went to install it.  I'm very proud of my setting ifconfig (a new set of commands for me) manually for all the specs and getting eth0 up running on startup.

ewemoa:
For imaging, Clonezilla and DD are what I use. DD mostly if it's just for me. Clonezilla for clients and anybody else. Clonezilla can also install GRUB so that's a big plus when performing a disaster recovery. Clonezilla also has some nice features for use with Windows-based systems. (Check out their website for details.) And it's now UEFI (or 'URFU' as I like to think of it) bootable.  So if you straddle multiple OSes, having one tool to learn and standardize on is really nice too.
-40hz (March 09, 2014, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried version 2.2.3-10 to clone with some success -- the first time through I encountered a lot of fast-scrolling text when checking on progress (the resulting HDD seemed fine though).  Since the cloned results was for testing purposes, went ahead and used it.  Seemed ok for the most part.  An unintentional trashing of the backup (likely pilot errror) provided an opportunity for a second use -- this time no weirdness was encountered :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

ewemoa:
...steps a shot with the debian net-install.
-mateek (May 23, 2014, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

He he -- I'm about to try to use them again -- nice to have notes to consult ;)

I knew what I was getting into, and I've run into a full dead-end in my startx, but I've learned a TON, and recalled a TON.  I hadn't done much with linux command-line in about five years, and never had enough time to do very much with it anyway.  At first I couldn't do without sudo, and found I wasn't on the internet when I went to install it.  I'm very proud of my setting ifconfig (a new set of commands for me) manually for all the specs and getting eth0 up running on startup.

--- End quote ---

I get (what I imagine are) similar feelings when trying to follow the instructions to install Gentoo or Arch!

40hz:
I get (what I imagine are) similar feelings when trying to follow the instructions to install Gentoo or Arch!
-ewemoa (May 23, 2014, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

For me, at least the Arch install was mainstream enough that it felt comprehensible and somewhat familiar. (The excellent docs helped a lot too!) A stage-3 Gentoo install, on the other hand, will probably always look and feel weird to me.  :huh:

Tuxman:
http://bash.org/?464385

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version