ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

*NIX: Relatively Minimal Host OS for VirtualBox Use

<< < (4/17) > >>

40hz:
Not having read the rest of the thread:

OpenBSD.
-Tuxman (March 09, 2014, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

@ewemoa - re: BSD

This from the PCBSD website:

PC-BSD® 10.0 automatically installs the VirtualBox[1] open source virtualization program and the VirtualBox Guest Additions[2] with the operating system. The guest additions add mouse pointer integration, shared folders between the host and guest, better video support, and a shared clipboard.
--- End quote ---

Might be worth a look/try.

re:OpenBSD

IIRC, the developers of OpenBSD weren't much interested in having OpenBSD do anything with VirtualBox - either as guest or host. There was a time not so long ago when they seemed rather dismissive and hostile towards both Wine and VirtualBox. But that might have changed. Maybe Tuxman can point you to a how-to or tutorial. I've got nothing on my KB about doing it. And considering OpenBSD has established security as its raison d'être, I could easily understand why they might look askance at something that wishes to create or run in a virtual environment under their carefully secured OS. So I wouldn't be surprised if it were difficult or impossible to do right now. But I'll have tp leave that for others with more OpenBSD experience to say for certain.

Tuxman:
Your quote is related to using PC-BSD as a guest system.

OpenBSD works as a host (or doesn't, depending on who you ask). - PC-BSD is not exactly "light on resources".

40hz:
Your quote is related to using PC-BSD as a guest system.

OpenBSD works as a host (or doesn't, depending on who you ask). - PC-BSD is not exactly "light on resources".
-Tuxman (March 09, 2014, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

If so, I stand corrected - although that's not the way I read: PC-BSD® 10.0 automatically installs the VirtualBox[1] open source virtualization program and the VirtualBox Guest Additions[2] with the operating system.

That says (to me) that PCBSD is installing (as in hosting) VBox rather than the other way around.

Either way, I'm more familiar with using BSD to create bespoke servers rather than VM hosts, so I'll defer to you to provide instructions or links on how to do it under OpenBSD.  
 :)

Tuxman:
and the VirtualBox Guest Additions[2] with the operating system.-40hz (March 09, 2014, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Guest Additions are installed on the hosted system.

Either way, I'm more familiar with using BSD to create bespoke servers rather than VM hosts, so I'll defer to you to provide instructions or links on how to do it under OpenBSD.  -40hz (March 09, 2014, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

RTFM...  :D

40hz:
Guest Additions[/i][2] with the operating system.
-Tuxman (March 09, 2014, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know. Please read the whole sentence:

PC-BSD® 10.0 automatically installs the VirtualBox[1] open source virtualization program and the VirtualBox Guest Additions[2] with the operating system.

RTFM...
--- End quote ---

I have - and still refer to it regularly whenever I'm working with OpenBSD. It's a lot to memorize otherwise. ;)

I've also found Absolute OpenBSD: Unix for the Practical Paranoid by Michael W. Lucas; and Brandon Palmer's Secure Architectures with OpenBSD to be worthwhile additions to the bookshelf. Highly recommended. :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version