topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Captain Drexx - 8 bit tower defense game  (Read 6682 times)

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Captain Drexx - 8 bit tower defense game
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Hi
I'm curious to know your opinion about the first tower defense game for the ZX Spectrum, the 8-bit computer from when I was about ten years old.
Any comments, suggestions ? I think this game is a work in progress until the end of march.
This is the game site:
http://www.zx.kaniv.net/
And you can play the pc version downloading this package :
http://www.zx.kaniv....ptain%20Drexx_pc.zip
You can even vote on the contest called Retro Games Battle in which the game participates :
http://retrogamesbat...om/index.php?lng=eng

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Captain Drexx - 8 bit tower defense game
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I couldn't get past the first 10 seconds of music.

Still it brought back some memories. I barely remember it coming out in the US since I was firmly in the Commodore camp by then. In fact my only solid memories of their computers was seeing the Timex Sinclair 1000 in magazines and thinking it must not be much of a computer for $99 - then thinking the same thing 5 years later when a friend had one setup as a printer buffer.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25 AM »
Vurbal, thanks for the review. Yes that was quite a limited machine but far more sassy than your Comodoro  :mrgreen:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:02 PM »

This is a brand new retro game, right?

I'll remark they're walking into the old All Your Base trap ... unless it's an homage?
"This is enemy ... they come from ... defeat your base"?!

16 seconds into the video.

8)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Vurbal, thanks for the review. Yes that was quite a limited machine but far more sassy than your Comodoro  :mrgreen:

Actually looking back at the hardware it was really just the exterior that was subpar compared to the typical home computer of the day - but I've always hated crappy keyboards so probably a deal breaker.

Plus we had a local computer shop that sold Commodores. After the PDP-8 and an Apple II here and there at school, my early computer experience was almost all on the PET, Vic-20, and C64 with a little TRS-80 Model 2 at a friend's house.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Yes, it a new game made in Ukrania, the homebrew Spectrum scene is quite active nowadays

I don't know well the history of brazilian spectrums, sovietic clones, or north-american models like the one you mentioned, Timex Sinclair 1000.
I think the 48K (rubber) keyboard was great for playing games, though I don't think that a good typist would have liked it. But for gamers I think it was great. The Spectrum +/128K keyboard, though, I didn't like at all. Amstrad's +2 and +3 keyboard was much better for typists.