topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 11 Released!  (Read 90506 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 11 Released!
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2014, 08:06 PM »
No, I haven't had that experience. Check this thread for troubleshooting tips:

http://resource.dopu...viewtopic.php?t=1873

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2014, 08:21 PM »
In the past, when I'd download a file with Firefox, the downloaded file would show up immediately in the download folder when open in Dopus. With v. 11 however I thought something was wrong because I was looking all over the place in the folder for the latest downloaded file and couldn't find it. It was only after some considerable time that the file eventually showed up.

Has anyone else had that experience?

Yes, but it's always been some retarded AV that was the cause - the download would sit in Firefox/Pale Moon/etc at %100 for up to 15 seconds before the AV program would finally decide it's OK.

It's why I always try to use an AV where I can set at what point a file gets scanned, and writing it isn't one of them.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2014, 06:57 AM »
No, I haven't had that experience. Check this thread for troubleshooting tips:

http://resource.dopu...viewtopic.php?t=1873

Thanks, will do.

In the past, when I'd download a file with Firefox, the downloaded file would show up immediately in the download folder when open in Dopus. With v. 11 however I thought something was wrong because I was looking all over the place in the folder for the latest downloaded file and couldn't find it. It was only after some considerable time that the file eventually showed up.

Yes, but it's always been some retarded AV that was the cause - the download would sit in Firefox/Pale Moon/etc at %100 for up to 15 seconds before the AV program would finally decide it's OK.

It's why I always try to use an AV where I can set at what point a file gets scanned, and writing it isn't one of them.

This could be part of it. But even launching Dopus 11 seems to take longer than Dopus 10 did. Maybe it is AVG messing things up in the background (recently switched from Avast).

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2014, 08:54 AM »
A variation on the problem is that I have deleted a file from a folder but it was still there. When some 15 sec later I wanted to delete it again, it would give me an error message (i.e. it was already deleted but it wasn't cleared from view). I had to navigate to another folder and then back to "refresh" the folder and get rid of the 'nonexistent' file.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55 AM »
A variation on the problem is that I have deleted a file from a folder but it was still there. When some 15 sec later I wanted to delete it again, it would give me an error message (i.e. it was already deleted but it wasn't cleared from view). I had to navigate to another folder and then back to "refresh" the folder and get rid of the 'nonexistent' file.

You are persuading me to stick with 9 LOL :)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2014, 10:19 AM »
You are persuading me to stick with 9 LOL :)

That was certainly not my intention... But it could be that my 4-yr old machine might be just too old for v. 11? BTW, I was pretty happy with v. 10.

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I've never had such issues but I'm using ESET AV.
I really like v11, especially because its scripting abilities is frequently expanded on, and there
are frequent beta's to the next minor version.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2014, 08:34 AM »
My first impression is that it is running quite a bit slower (or is a bit more resource hungry), at least concerning the following operation.  In the past, when I'd download a file with Firefox, the downloaded file would show up immediately in the download folder when open in Dopus. With v. 11 however I thought something was wrong because I was looking all over the place in the folder for the latest downloaded file and couldn't find it. It was only after some considerable time that the file eventually showed up.

I havent found DO11 to be more resource hungry (but that's with i5+8GB ram)
I have had some slow-to-refresh scenarios, but not often enough to follow-up on it :-\

Note that DOpus is now at version 11.8
This *seems* to suggest that they might be reducing the time between upgrades (version 11 having been released in March 2014 according to this thread).

EDIT// (in case version 12 is relelased soonish:)
I dont know what their upgrade pricing is when upgrading from an older version (e.g. for 11, version 9 or older; etc.)
Tom
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:40 AM by tomos »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2014, 10:50 AM »
EDIT// (in case version 12 is relelased soonish:)
I dont know what their upgrade pricing is when upgrading from an older version (e.g. for 11, version 9 or older; etc.)
This posting may answer that question, at least for a couple more weeks:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=39822.0

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2014, 01:54 PM »
(in case version 12 is relelased soonish:)
Quote from greg in the DO forums earlier today:
Be not afraid! :) While we never comment on release dates nor plans for new major versions, these are traditionally every 2-3 years.
Opus 11 was only released this year so Opus 12 is a long way off yet.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Thanks cyberdiva and myarmor for clarifications :up:

Quote from greg in the DO forums earlier today:
Be not afraid! :) While we never comment on release dates nor plans for new major versions, these are traditionally every 2-3 years.
Opus 11 was only released this year so Opus 12 is a long way off yet.
I see he also says:
As some may remember, earlier this year, to avoid confusion, we dropped the 4th numeral in the traditional version scheme so the current versioning is now only X,y,z or more correctly V.S.B - for Version, Sub-version, Beta release. This current version system means that Opus 11 does not finish at 11.9 and may go to 11.666 yet.:)
:D
Tom

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2014, 03:12 PM »
I havent found DO11 to be more resource hungry (but that's with i5+8GB ram)

Unfortunately DO11 continued to be too slow on my system (i7+8GB ram). But I saw someone on the Dopus forum having a similar issue on brand new gear, so maybe it's not about the specs but something else.

Too bad, as I would have gladly upgraded, even just to support the developers, as Dopus is one of my favourites. It's just that it needs to be working out of the box for me right now as I don't have the time for troubleshooting.

I have reverted to DO10 and things are back to running fine.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2014, 12:34 AM »
Dopus 11 stopped working on my computer altogether!! Cannot figure out what is wrong. Spent some time on their forum but no one else has any ideas either.

My computer does have a bad memory stick - I believe - and I'm testing all sticks in all slots to find the mem problem now. Don’t know if that caused my Dopus issue, but presently, though Dopus 11 is installed and licensed, it will not run at all. Frustrating as hell!!

Jim

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2014, 04:20 AM »
maybe it's not about the specs but something else.

One suspicion I have is that running a bunch of Chrome services was affecting my PC's performance, and somehow especially that of DO11.

Normally I have a Chrome browser open with Calendar, Drive, and several Google Sheets, as well as WorkFlowy running in a stand-alone Chrome app. (The local Google Drive directory was also pre-set in a Dopus tab, although it was set not to load automatically.) This normally would result in a large number of Google processes running under the hood, with significant RAM usage.

After I shut down Chrome and ran the same Google and WorkFlowy web pages in Firefox instead, the performance of my PC had improved significantly. Unfortunately I can't test this theory with DO11 because I uninstalled it, but even DO10 performance had improved noticeably.

---

P.S. And the other suspicion is about a scheduled Malwarebytes scan kicking in without me realising it, which slows things down... It was set to kick in daily (by default, I presume), so I just changed it to weekly...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:31 AM by dr_andus »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2014, 03:27 PM »
I'm a Dopus 10 user. I'm tempted by the latest upgrade offer,  so I've been trying out v. 11.

My first impression is that it is running quite a bit slower (or is a bit more resource hungry), at least concerning the following operation.  In the past, when I'd download a file with Firefox, the downloaded file would show up immediately in the download folder when open in Dopus. With v. 11 however I thought something was wrong because I was looking all over the place in the folder for the latest downloaded file and couldn't find it. It was only after some considerable time that the file eventually showed up.

Yes, for me too, on a slow but recent PC (slow processor), I had to revert to V10 to get something usable.
.merle1.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2016, 10:56 PM »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2016, 02:08 AM »
Still too pricey for the features.

michaelkenward

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • Broken monitor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2016, 03:47 AM »
A bargain if you own the earlier version.

And constantly updated with new features added and changes to accommodate whatever Microsoft gets up to.

Saves the cost of any number of standalone utilities. Not, though, for those who believe everything should be free, except for their own labour, of course.
MK

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2016, 04:45 AM »
According to the v12 change list nothing valuable (for me) is added. (But I'm quite happy with my combination of x² and SC anyway.)

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2016, 04:51 AM »
Directory Opus 12 is now available

Just upgraded to dopus 12 (5 licenses for about 105 euros)

a bargain considering the time saved :Thmbsup:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01 AM »
I already upgraded last night. This software hasn't let me down yet.

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2016, 09:34 AM »

Depends on what features you use.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Different strokes for different folks, but there is still nothing in DOpus that would make me want to switch from XYplorer, and much that doesn't.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2016, 09:40 AM »
I've tried several different ones- XYPlorer, Xplorer2, DOpus, and many others.  I try to resist, because DO is more expensive.  But in the end, I always upgrade.  Just too much that I use that's not in the other options.  And that's from someone with a lifetime to XYPlorer.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2016, 11:15 AM »
I am tempted to delve into Multi Commander

It has a built in scripting thingie that looks very powerful.  Also it is totally free.  What makes me hesitate is I think it is a one developer deal.  Or is that just an excuse not to learn the scripting syntax?  The big drawback with all the file managers that are not Explorer is that they don't sit in memory all the time.  Perhaps I could try running it out of a ramdisk.  I liked FreeCommander very much.  But the transition to Lazarus really made it seem not the same to me.

Multi Commander has the advantage it already comes in native 32 and 64 bit versions.  Just for grins I may try running the portable 64 bit version out of my ramdisk to see if it fits.  At this point I haven't done anything with it.  So uninstalling loses me not much to go portable.