ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (20/27) > >>

Innuendo:
Personally, I don't really mind the occasional registration check as long as the developers are open about it. I found it more interesting to see how they handle customer support in that thread.-Jibz (March 09, 2014, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that thread could be seen as an eye-opener in more than one way. I just wanted to make sure people knew that Directory Opus phoned home when the general belief is that it doesn't. My chosen career path dictates I keep abreast of stuff like this...I'm just glad I didn't have to pull out WireShark & a PowerPoint presentation to make my point.  ;)

My research backs up what the FAQ states. Even if you cut Directory Opus off from the internet completely none of the functionality will be diminished & you won't notice any difference in its operation.

wraith808:
I wonder when they added that.  As I said, I have 9, don't have it blocked from the internet, and don't see any access like this.  Unless it's so infrequent that I just missed it.

Innuendo:
I wonder when they added that.  As I said, I have 9, don't have it blocked from the internet, and don't see any access like this.  Unless it's so infrequent that I just missed it.-wraith808 (March 09, 2014, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's been a part of DOpus for as far back as v6.xx. You can do a Google search and find many forum posts across the internet from software pirates wondering why their previously working serial got blacklisted all of a sudden one day when they fired up DOpus.

It's easy to miss because DOpus doesn't phone home every day...or even every week. I never was curious enough to observe over a long period to find out what the frequency is, but I'd wager it's something along the lines of 'once in a blue moon'.

I absolutely hate software that phones home, but since I can block it with no ill effects I choose to ignore that it does...or at least tries.

superboyac:
I'm in 2 minds about this upgrade. It's hard to see what killer improvement is there, especially when it costs AUS$50 for the upgrade.
-katykaty (March 05, 2014, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was wondering about the same thing. I'm having a hard time finding the killer feature for me. I consider myself a basic user of Dopus (I don't even customise it myself, just use Andy's setup), but the new features seem to be targeting the super-sophisticated user that can write their own scripts and customise the hell out of the interface.
-dr_andus (March 05, 2014, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
omg...this Andy guy (the dearopus) is awesome!  His customized setup is beautiful.

I love this freaking dopus program.  Sadly (or not?) I spend more active time with Dopus than any other thing or person in my life.

So I followed Andy's instructions and used a lot of his customizations.  I also added some flat icons I found for the default stuff from the dopus forums.  I have my own custom status bar.  It's basically Dopus pron.

dr_andus:
I'm a Dopus 10 user. I'm tempted by the latest upgrade offer,  so I've been trying out v. 11.

My first impression is that it is running quite a bit slower (or is a bit more resource hungry), at least concerning the following operation.  In the past, when I'd download a file with Firefox, the downloaded file would show up immediately in the download folder when open in Dopus. With v. 11 however I thought something was wrong because I was looking all over the place in the folder for the latest downloaded file and couldn't find it. It was only after some considerable time that the file eventually showed up.

Has anyone else had that experience?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version