ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (17/27) > >>

wraith808:
If "check for news and product updates" is enabled it "phones home" to check that once a week (or whatever your setting says).
You can disable it if you want to.
-myarmor (March 08, 2014, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Right.  I don't call that "phoning home".  I call that "checking for news and product updates".  Especially since you can easily disable it.

40hz:
If "check for news and product updates" is enabled it "phones home" to check that once a week (or whatever your setting says).
You can disable it if you want to.
-myarmor (March 08, 2014, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Right.  I don't call that "phoning home".  I call that "checking for news and product updates".  Especially since you can easily disable it.
-wraith808 (March 08, 2014, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree w/Wraith. "Check for news,updates, and offers" is a normal and expected feature in many software packages - and one that a many licensed users appreciate having. And since (in DO at least) it can be easily disabled, I see no fault anywhere in providing such a feature.

I consider "phoning home" to be more something that connects to a server somewhere, but provides no direct benefit to the customer when it does so. And I'll include software that does regular license verifications (like MSGA) on non-subscription based software in that category.

Innuendo:
--- End quote ---

I know the difference between checking for updates and phoning home and I'm here to tell you that the program indeed does phone home. Yes, if you have "checking for news and and product updates" enabled, it will happily check a server located at si-sv2378.com which is a is registered to a company called Server Intellect. They are a webhosting company and where DOpus downloads news & updates from. Turn off the setting in preferences and this server will not be contacted again.

However, regardless whether or not you have that setting enabled, every so often Directory Opus will reach out to a server located at cbf02m01-in-fl121.1e100.net. It appears e100.net is registered to a company called MarkMonitor.com. Browsing there it seems to be a company devoted to brand protection and fighting piracy. Directory Opus phones home there to check for blacklisted serials and such and if relevant information is found then appropriate action is taken.

So I will say again, Directory Opus does phone home regardless of what the user has set in preferences. This behavior may have changed since the release of v11, but this was what occurred with v10.

I would not have stated

40hz:
@Innuendo - most interesting! :tellme:

If you block it from accessing the website with your firewall, or disable the relevant process's access to the web via a policy, does DO stop working?

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

I know the difference between checking for updates and phoning home and I'm here to tell you that the program indeed does phone home. Yes, if you have "checking for news and and product updates" enabled, it will happily check a server located at si-sv2378.com which is a is registered to a company called Server Intellect. They are a webhosting company and where DOpus downloads news & updates from. Turn off the setting in preferences and this server will not be contacted again.

However, regardless whether or not you have that setting enabled, every so often Directory Opus will reach out to a server located at cbf02m01-in-fl121.1e100.net. It appears e100.net is registered to a company called MarkMonitor.com. Browsing there it seems to be a company devoted to brand protection and fighting piracy. Directory Opus phones home there to check for blacklisted serials and such and if relevant information is found then appropriate action is taken.

So I will say again, Directory Opus does phone home regardless of what the user has set in preferences. This behavior may have changed since the release of v11, but this was what occurred with v10.

I would not have stated

-Innuendo (March 08, 2014, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I meant no offense.  I've not noticed the same behaviour.  I have version 9, so perhaps there's a difference in versions.  But I run all of my requests through OpenDNS, and searched through my logs and see no mention of that particular domain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version