ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (15/27) > >>

Jibz:
I was looking at the Upgrade price, since I upgraded a day or so ago, and the upgrade price ($50 AUD) converted to ~$44 USD.  I just looked again today, and apparently it's now up to ~45 USD, but that's still not $48 USD.
-cyberdiva (March 07, 2014, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't updated my DO since version 9, so I took the information in this thread, that the upgrade price was 40% off. 89 AUD * 0.6 = 53.4, which converted to USD is $48.4. But if you say the upgrade price is $50 AUD, I'll hapilly update the table (it doesn't change any of the conclusions). Thanks :Thmbsup:.

wraith808:
Also, if you can't compare a file manager to other file managers, what is the point then?
-Jibz (March 07, 2014, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

You *can* compare a file manager to other file managers.  It's just that comparing them *only* based on price is faulty reasoning, IMO.  If I compare a Fiat to a Lamborghini based only on price, the Fiat is going to win all the time.  Not saying that the difference between the software is that extreme- just stating that for an analogy.

TucknDar:
Comparing their price isn't faulty reasoning. Jibz didn't, as far as I can tell, state that the price was the only difference. His post was a followup to the price discussion and just brought into the frame some comparison between the differing licenses and prices. It seemed clear enough to me that the post was only concerned with the price and license difference between some well known file managers. An interesting post as well... to me, anyway ;)

cyberdiva:
I haven't updated my DO since version 9, so I took the information in this thread, that the upgrade price was 40% off. 89 AUD * 0.6 = 53.4, which converted to USD is $48.4. But if you say the upgrade price is $50 AUD, I'll hapilly update the table (it doesn't change any of the conclusions). Thanks :Thmbsup:.
-Jibz (March 07, 2014, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hi, Jibz.  Yes, I can confirm that I bought the upgrade for $50 AUD.

xtabber:
Another interesting point is the licensing. DO is the only one that limits the number of computers you can use the software on.
-Jibz (March 07, 2014, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

As a matter of principle, I decided some years ago that I would avoid software that places arbitrary restrictions on how I can use it on my own computer(s).  In some cases, I have purchased "family" licenses for some programs that I need on multiple systems, but unless there really is no other reasonable choice, I will always take software that offers per-user licensing over those that license per computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version