ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (12/27) > >>

Dirhael:
I purchased an upgrade license the day it was released (was very pleasantly surprised that those of us that tested the beta version got an additional discount :Thmbsup:), and I don't really see how the pricing is cause for concern, if you're like me and spend *many* hours a week using it. I suppose it depends on where in the world you live, but what I think of when considering the price of ~ $40 USD I paid for the upgrade is that...:

- Over here that's just north of the price of a 6-pack of beer, if purchased in a store.
- Any given night down at the pub with friends will cost me twice that amount, at least (just a pint of beer frequently cost >= $15 USD).
- Most new games released on consoles retail for (converted from NOK to USD) ~ $84-100 USD.
- New bluray movies usually retail for (converted from NOK to USD) $30 USD and up.

Yeah...considering how ridiculously many hours I've spent in DO I find the price perfectly acceptable.

dr_andus:
Without that, there's a couple of other benefits that appeal to me (a semi-casual user):

File Display Toolbars
Streamlined Copy Progress Display - might make it so I don't have to use teracopy, I have to try it.
Breadcrumbs, Status Bar, and FAYT changes - these address some of my major complaints.  Especially the FAYT part, as I had to use wildcards before.
Folder Tree Changes - especially remembering the root branches.  Another major complaint of mine.
File and Folder Labels Improvements - Auto filters on folders?  That's just plain cool.
-wraith808 (March 06, 2014, 08:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for breaking that down, that's was helpful for getting my head around the new features.

Josh:
I really don't feel that, in my case, the "three year payment" holds water. I purchased this product 10 months ago. I only received two update notifications from the program stating that an update was available. Now, less than a year later, I am being told I have to pay again to move to the current version, and oh by the way the cost is just above half of what I paid originally. 

And yes, I saw the comparison about MS office. The difference there is, I have received 7 licenses to Office (2007-2013) that have cost me LESS than a single license of DOpus. Just because "retail" is expensive, doesn't mean there aren't promotions and/or other ways to obtain office in a legitimate fashion.

That said, I am not trying to be negative. In my case, however, I feel a tad upset about being asked to pay for a product I just paid for 10 months ago. I DID NOT receive the number of updates being mentioned here. I purchased the product in a state where those updates had already occurred.

wraith808:
I really don't feel that, in my case, the "three year payment" holds water. I purchased this product 10 months ago. I only received two update notifications from the program stating that an update was available. Now, less than a year later, I am being told I have to pay again to move to the current version, and oh by the way the cost is just above half of what I paid originally. 

And yes, I saw the comparison about MS office. The difference there is, I have received 7 licenses to Office (2007-2013) that have cost me LESS than a single license of DOpus. Just because "retail" is expensive, doesn't mean there aren't promotions and/or other ways to obtain office in a legitimate fashion.

That said, I am not trying to be negative. In my case, however, I feel a tad upset about being asked to pay for a product I just paid for 10 months ago. I DID NOT receive the number of updates being mentioned here. I purchased the product in a state where those updates had already occurred.
-Josh (March 06, 2014, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that goes towards another discussion that I posted- the version vs. time-limited license.  In this case, a time limited (1 year of updates) would have been better for you.  I think that as a developer, in some cases, you just can't win.

Josh:
I really think that the key is flexibility. If I were to release an application, and a user contacted me in that situation, I would be willing to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis. That said, based on the email reply, I feel that my request would be met with deaf ears based on how they replied to the discount.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version