ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (9/27) > >>

wraith808:
We aren't really upset or anything, but please look at it from our point of view - we get an email from DonationCoder saying "hey, can we have a discount please!", so we come to DonationCoder to see what people are saying, and find a thread where mostly what they're saying is what horribly nasty thieves we are.
-JonPotter (March 05, 2014, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

With all due respect, when I look at the entire thread, there was one person who took issue with the upgrade window (as he understood it), one person agreeing that (if that were in fact true) it left a bad taste, and a few others commenting it seemed a somewhat expensive upgrade.

I'd hardly characterize that as anybody calling anyone a horribly nasty thief. Or that the thread was hostile or derogatory towards DO.

Apparently there are differences in individual perception. So be it. It happens.

So I'd like to suggest, going forward, thicker skins and softer words. And as Cliff Stoll so aptly suggested, many years ago, when online discussion forums were just starting to take off:

Lets:

1) Try not to offend.

2) Try not to be so easily offended.
 (see attachment in previous post) Pax!  :)
-40hz (March 05, 2014, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Some of the posts that he was referring to have been since edited.  There was a bit of inflammatory phrasing.  Which sort of falls under the try not to offend portion.  And was all that I was asking for- a stance where we can state our opinions without offending.  But apparently that was taken wrong, and people were offended by the suggestion.
* wraith808 shrugs

40hz:
@Wraith- Just can't win can ya? :huh: :

Try to take comfort in the fact that at least you tried. Like you always do, I might add.  :)

Onward! :Thmbsup:

tomos:
In fairness, I was the one to spark the controversy with my dodgy (but insistent) memory, and my loose tongue ;-)
I wrote this below earlier, but JonPotter got in ahead of me so I left it. I'll chance posting it now, slightly modified:

It's not about payola.  It's about realizing that one hasty word can make those conversations a lot more difficult, so we need to be cautious about realizing that there are definitely ramifications about saying things that may or may not be true.  And it's not about being bought and paid for- we still tell the truth.-wraith808 (March 05, 2014, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes, this it it for me -
summed up by "It's about realizing that one hasty word can make those conversations a lot more difficult".
Just like in real life - and that's the thing it's easy to forget when you get in a rant about something online, this is real life too :-[
And that's why I apologised straight away - not just that I hadn't checked the details - but that I realised I had said it in such an obnoxious way that it was pretty unreasonable, and understandable if it got a knee-jerk response.

And FWIW katykaty sums up my attitude to Dopus:

But then again, it's DO. Got to have DO. Can't not have DO :)
-katykaty (March 05, 2014, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll leave it at that.

wraith808:
And that's why I apologised straight away - not just that I hadn't checked the details - but that I realised I had said it in such an obnoxious way that it was pretty unreasonable, and understandable if it got a knee-jerk response.
-tomos (March 05, 2014, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just want to say also Tomos, thanks for that.  It's not about doing things or offending or making mistakes- we all do that.  It's what happens after that's important.  And I appreciate that.

:Thmbsup:

Innuendo:
I just want to clarify that I was not advocating that people should have free reign to insult or ridicule software developers. I'm merely of the mind that if something happens we don't like, we're allowed to voice a criticism without someone running into the room yelling, "Shhh..you'll upset the developers," with much arm-waving.

For the record, I can understand both sides of the "upgrade discount did not last in perpetuity" discussion, but I don't think an upgrade discount getting smaller after two years is unreasonable at all.

Full disclosure: I am a Directory Opus user & I bought the v11 upgrade before I even posted the OP. I also will disclose that I received the extra beta-tester discount as well for which I'm very thankful.

Yes, Directory Opus is not the least expensive program out there, but the author releases a major version every three years, not every year like most software authors. Divide that upgrade cost by three and it's not unreasonable at all, IMHO, especially for a program I use every single day.

As for the features added, it's true that there are no 'killer' features added, but I think it's a lot of nice additions that improve the experience as a whole. Besides, file managers are such an old genre of application that I don't think there are going to be too many more 'killer' features that lie undiscovered. While we're discussing new features, it's probably a good time to point out that the author doesn't hold back new features till a new major version hits. He keeps rolling out new features as fast as he can implement them regardless of whether or not it is a minor or major update. Nothing may grab you now, but something in v11.1 or v11.2 probably will.

You may as well upgrade now. You know you'll succumb sooner or later. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version