ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (6/27) > >>

Innuendo:
I, for one, am against this "be careful what you say or our discounts will go away" mentality. For one, it's censorship plain and simple. Second, it sounds like they are buying our silence. Often print magazine reviews aren't taken seriously when they appear next to huge glossy ads for the products in the review.

In other words, when we start behaving this way there's an appearance of either a conflict of interest or we've been 'bought and paid for'.

If someone wants to offer me a discount on the condition I can't criticize their product then I don't want their discount or anything to do with them. I am not for sale & I hope others on this web site feel the same way.

DC has survived years without dealing in payola and I believe DC can survive in the future without it as well.

mwb1100:
I, for one, am against this "be careful what you say or our discounts will go away" mentality.
-Innuendo (March 05, 2014, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree - everyone should keep in mind that we would all welcome a correction about anything incorrect in this thread.   FWIW, I vaguely recall the upgrade discount for DO being larger when the upgrade was being done within a few months of a new release. In other words, my recollection agrees in general with what tomos posted, though I'm entirely unsure of the details (such as the time frame or the level of discount).

Because I didn't recall those details, I didn't post anything about it before. But since someone has characterized it as "untruths and garbage", I want to chime in now to say that my memory - which might be somewhat faulty, especially on details - agrees with what tomos posted.

And for what it's worth, I have a couple DO licenses, and I've upgraded in the past, but don't always upgrade when they have a major release.  It looks like I've paid for Dopus 6, 8, and 9.  Also, I'm not upset in any way - I knew what the general policy on DO updates is and when they come out with a major new version I evaluate whether or not I want to spend the money on the upgrade,.

wraith808:
It's not about payola.  It's about realizing that one hasty word can make those conversations a lot more difficult, so we need to be cautious about realizing that there are definitely ramifications about saying things that may or may not be true.  And it's not about being bought and paid for- we still tell the truth.  I told nothing but the unmitigated truth in my reviews for some of these things- but I was also diplomatic about the use of words that are inflammatory and packed with emotion.  Especially in regards to things that may have had me hot under the collar for my experiences.  Taking consideration of what you say and the ramifications thereof should *always* be a consideration when posting IMO.  Would you say it to the person in person?  Or would you perhaps ask or say things in a different way.  Then your posting on a board should take the same thing into account.  Respect and consideration are the key- not changing what you say, just how you say it.

First, it's not censorship.  It was an admonishment from *me* from *my experiences*.  As I have no way to enforce or say anything as a policy, it's not censorship.  No one said to do anything other than to take it into account.  Whatever you want to do, it's on you.

Second, there is no 'buying silence'.  There was apparently something said that was incorrect.  I didn't rebut it, because I don't know.  But I offered him the ability to come here and do it, or to let me know what was incorrect so I could post it.  How is that buying silence?  And I have no intent of going back to him with any changes or anything to say- "see?  We've fixed it. Now can we have a discount?"  That's not what I was saying at all, nor what was meant.  It's decently insulting to say so, also... so I'm going to back off of this with one last statement.

A lot of us haven't had anything to do with fostering these relationships behind the scenes, nor do we realize how hard it is.  I didn't fully appreciate the efforts of cthorpe in that regard until I started dealing with them.  To walk that line of building a relationship with developers based on mutual benefit without compromising DC is something that is quite difficult.  And many developers already don't want to give specialized discounts nor work with sites.  And it's a lot of work.  It's easy to talk about it, and hard to do it.  I just want to thank the people who have taken this role in the past.  And wish the best to anyone who takes it in the future.

katykaty:
I'm in 2 minds about this upgrade. It's hard to see what killer improvement is there, especially when it costs AUS$50 for the upgrade.

But then again, it's DO. Got to have DO. Can't not have DO :)

JonPotter:
Just to clarify - the 40% discount for Opus 9 -> 10 was available for more than 2 years after release, and it then dropped to 30%.

We aren't really upset or anything, but please look at it from our point of view - we get an email from DonationCoder saying "hey, can we have a discount please!", so we come to DonationCoder to see what people are saying, and find a thread where mostly what they're saying is what horribly nasty thieves we are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version