topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 11 Released!  (Read 90511 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Directory Opus 11 Released!
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Directory Opus 11 is finally out of beta!

The following is from the Directory Opus blog:

Upgrades and licensing:

Buy a new license (new customers)
    Upgrade an existing license (existing customers)
    Get a free 60-day evaluation license (available to everyone to test-drive the new version)

Registered Directory Opus 10 users can upgrade from as little as $50 AUD (~$45 USD, £27, €33).
    If you bought Opus after 1st December 2013 then the update is completely free!
    Users of older versions still qualify for discounted upgrades - visit the Upgrade page for a personalised quotation.
    An extra discount will be given to Opus 10 users who were part of the public beta testing program - thank you all for your participation!

Just some of the highlights of Directory Opus 11 are:

The new scripting interface allows custom commands and scripts written in VBScript, JScript, etc to infinitely extend Opus
    Toolbars can be saved in layouts and styles - different Listers can now use different toolbars
    Toolbars can turn on or off automatically in specific folders or view modes
    Enhanced hotkeys allow for multi-key sequences and multiple different keys for the same function
    Dynamic toolbar button icons and highlighting allow you more control over your toolbar appearance
    The new File Display Toolbar replaces the main Location toolbar, saving vertical space in the Lister
    The new Jobs Bar lets you see and manage all file operations from one central location
    Hide progress indicators by default, and remove them from the taskbar and Alt+Tab list to avoid interruptions to your workflow
    New Details + Thumbnails mode combines the best of both modes
    New "ghost" crumbs in the Breadcrumbs location field let you see where you have been as well as where you are now
    Dual status bars let you see file and selection statistics for both file displays at once
    Improvements to the Find-as-you-type field include search highlighting and command history
    New options for the Folder Tree including root-level spacing and Favorites branch at the top of the tree as in Explorer
    Integrated support for Windows 8.1 SkyDrive (OneDrive)
    Much, much more!

For a detailed list of changes, please see the What's New page.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 11 Released!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:07 AM »
It does look good - I'd probably upgrade for the interface improvments alone.

Spoiler
I made a complaint here about the upgrade price being reduced to 10% reduction after a few months (with the last upgrade). Dopus developers have taken offence [1] to the way it was expressed and [2] say it isnt true. Because of that I'm removing it. I am sorry about the way it was expressed, and tbh, I'm sorry I wrote/posted it at all - see also reply #18 below. Re the details - maybe they were wrong, I honestly thought they were correct as I remembered.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:31 AM by tomos »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:44 AM »
WOW!!! A whole three month period for "free upgrades". Gee, I should just whip out my wallet and plop down another 45 dollars into a product I have already invested 80 bucks into just shy of a year ago. </sarcasm>

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:49 AM »
WOW!!! A whole three month period for "free upgrades". Gee, I should just whip out my wallet and plop down another 45 dollars into a product I have already invested 80 bucks into just shy of a year ago. </sarcasm>
Well, the new major versions aren't released that often, and there are alot of updates (and beta's) inbetween.

Dec 2007 I bought DO 9 (it was AUD 64 at the time, pro/light didn't exist).
Apr 2011 I upgraded to DO 10 (pro/light was introduced in the later years, everyone that had already purchased got Pro).
Mar 2014 I upgraded to DO 11 Pro.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:13 AM »
For a detailed list of changes, please see the What's New page.

"This content is not shown because JavaScript is disabled"  :mad: ... well, can I finally shrinken the giant DO toolbars in v11?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Well, the new major versions aren't released that often, and there are alot of updates (and beta's) inbetween.

Dec 2007 I bought DO 9 (it was AUD 64 at the time, pro/light didn't exist).
Apr 2011 I upgraded to DO 10 (pro/light was introduced in the later years, everyone that had already purchased got Pro).
Mar 2014 I upgraded to DO 11 Pro.

Yes, I understand that major releases do not occur often. That said, the typical period of upgrades between major revisions in the software industry is within the last year. A whopping three months for a free upgrade to V11 leaves me with a very sour taste in my mouth given that I was not privy to many of those "updates" since DO10 was put out.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:32 AM »

yes, that's a very good point myarmor,
but:
the few months (as Josh describes) still just does not lead to good feelings that one likes to have about one of their favourite software.

Spoiler
I removed the rest of this post - I was bitching about something related to upgrade pricing which appears to be untrue.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:48 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:35 AM »
... well, can I finally shrinken the giant DO toolbars in v11?

:huh: ?!
Toolbars are totally customisable, and have been since at least version 8

or were you using the beta and unable to customise the toolbars in that?
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I never saw a screenshot without giant "menu" toolbars...  :huh:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:45 AM »
^here's my current setup in v.10 with the panels 'spliced' out.

Screenshot - 2014-03-04 , 18_38_35.pngDirectory Opus 11 Released!

I could remove icons from buttons to reduce height more, but dont think it's worth it

Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Still giant. :/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:50 AM »
^Turn em off ;-) or buy something else - or customise them to whatever *you* want.
Tom

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 11:56 AM »
Yes, I understand that major releases do not occur often. That said, the typical period of upgrades between major revisions in the software industry is within the last year. A whopping three months for a free upgrade to V11 leaves me with a very sour taste in my mouth given that I was not privy to many of those "updates" since DO10 was put out.
I have to admit I'm not exactly a fan of having only a small window of upgrade pricing, hence why I replied to that particular post (and not the one above).
I felt a need to mention that major versions isn't released often due to the "....into a product I have already invested 80 bucks into just shy of a year ago".

I prefer to take my time upgrading software, although some I tend to upgrade immediately due to earlier positive experience (it might not always be wise, but).
For me, DOpus is and has been in that category.

Btw, new releases and betas are listed/published here.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:01 PM by myarmor »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 01:22 PM »
I never personally saw the need for something with as many bells and whistles as Directory Opus. But I'm fairly organized up front, so I seldom need to move things around or go searching much once I save something to my drives. Still... if you really do need something like this I guess it's worth the money. 8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I'm still on 9.  I love DO.  I just can't justify the price that often.  It was the same with SlickEdit.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Still giant. :/

Move further away from the monitor or get a 4k monitor, on that a toolbar of only 28 pixels height, (~1.2%), will look quite small.

I'm sure that squinting at the the monitor from a distance of 300mm using 5x bifocals, the toolbars will look giant.

Honestly, saying they're "giant" is rather pointless because you've given no reference, it's in the same league as "It doesn't work."

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05 AM »
I like DO, and I was a registered user of version 8.

But I must admit I have felt it was too expensive to upgrade. Especially given that I have a license for Total Commander which has had free upgrades in like forever, and a lifetime license to XYplorer.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Well, remember when I told you about the manner in which people say things is important to our relationship with developers?  I don't think we'll be getting a discount.  I received this response:

We are not very impressed as hard working developers when we see stuff like this on DC…. :(

Does not give us a warm feeling towards you when this kind of untruths and garbage is published without moderation or correction.

"they have a sickening habit of reducing the upgrade discount after a short period of time.  It's currently roughly a 45% reduction - last upgrade, that went down to a 10% reduction within a couple of months"

My response was that he was free to post a correction- I'm not sure of the specifics, so I can't post a rebuttal- but told him that he was free to do so, and asked what was incorrect about the statement.  But please be careful and responsible in your posting- as always, your opinions are your opinions, but they do affect our relationship with developers, and our ability to get discounts.  I didn't know that before I started doing the stuff with discounts... but I've seen it in operation.  

And besides that, I do understand his sentiment if this is not true and was posted.  Any actual anecdotal information to back this up one way or the other?  I didn't think it strange because many companies do reduce their discount over time- as a reward to the ones that purchase earlier.  I probably wouldn't have used 'sickening' for that reason- but that's just my opinion.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 09:06 AM »
^I'll look up the details wraith. I'll put the post above in spoilers.

I'm sorry for using that word - I'm sorry to the Dopus developers, and sorry to you all here if I'm muddying the relationship(s).

To the developers, I wish to point out that I am a fan of dopus - and have made many positive posts here about it and many posts helping others with it's use. Obviously that doesnt excuse me if I make an incorrect statement. How I feel in response to something is obviously just how it is - but (obviously again) it's not a helpful approach to a complaint to express it thus.
Tom

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32 AM »
In my opinion, if we are posting incorrect information, I more than welcome them to come forward and correct it. However, I am still standing by my conviction in that I purchased back in April of last year and now have to pay again, LESS THAN A YEAR LATER, for the next major revision. 45 dollars for an upgrade to a product I just paid 80 dollars for just shy of a year ago rubs me the wrong way.

That said, I am now looking at total commander.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Still sounds like a threat - and just a little bit 'convenient' to me.

Here's a sorry indication of one developer's willingness to punish an entire community because one member (in no way claiming to speak for anyone other than themselves ) said something this same developer felt was untrue or unfair - but chose not to correct or respond to.  This is a public discussion forum, not a formal review article.

I'd say they're welcome to keep any potential discount offers they might have been considering. Especially now that it appears they have decided to do just that.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:31 AM by 40hz »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I'm with 40hz on this one.

tn_dang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I'm still on 9.  I love DO.  I just can't justify the price that often.  It was the same with SlickEdit.
SlickEdit is still better in the sense that the user can use it on multiple computer.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I'm still on 9.  I love DO.  I just can't justify the price that often.  It was the same with SlickEdit.
SlickEdit is still better in the sense that the user can use it on multiple computer.

You can do the same with DO.  I do currently.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Still sounds like a threat - and just a little bit 'convenient' to me.

It would be convenient, IMO, if they had approached us.  I approached him at the urging of the members.  And apparently the whole time he'd been following the thread- I didn't point him to it.  And he hasn't revoked our other discount.  So I don't see a threat implied nor explicit personally.