ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

unattended large file copies that will not prompt for msg

<< < (2/3) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Great answers, guys (more suggestions welcome). I have a license for Total Commander, and
they have a great license  policy, so I will start there.

Sometimes TC seems a lot slower heads-down on copying that the alternatives, although again,
there may be some special or alternative modes. Any thoughts on that aspect as well?

From what I could tell, some copy programs work more directly with the OS copy command, others
go around it with their own tweaking?

Incidentally the long file names comes out of some .jpgs and such that are email attachments, which
in Eudora are a separate disk file.

============

I had some backup externals that were not able to be read by Windows 7, they were from the XP
days. One goal is to empty the data off any such disk (copy to a really big backup external) and
attempt to format in Windows 7, using the format command from a partition program. (These externals
are seen by the OS but not assigned a drive letter, and the manufacturers want them to be orphaned.)
So far, so good, the first one took fine.  In such a case you can easily want to move 100 Gb in the
background or when away.
one worked.

Steven

AbteriX:

Sometimes TC seems a lot slower heads-down on copying that the alternatives, although again,
there may be some special or alternative modes. Any thoughts on that aspect as well?

-Steven Avery (March 03, 2014, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really know. Me thinks, I just don't really care on this.

But there are settings:

--------------------------------
Help > Operations > Menus > Menu configuration - Options > Copy/Delete

Copy method (for experts only!)
      This section allows to change the copy method
--------------------------------

More via search in the TC forum (as I said, I don't really care, so I have less experiences)

mwb1100:
For XYplorer you can configure it to use a 'custom copy' handler so it doesn't use the Windows shell:

Tools/Configure/File Operations - check "Use Custom Copy"

Then click the "Configure..." button and there are several settings on how to handle various problems. Depending on exactly how you want it to work, you might need to change:

- On name collisions
  - On failures
  - Verification
  - Rename folders on collision
  - Ask before overwriting read-only files

You can also configure XYplorer to use FastCopy or TeraCopy - see the help for Tools/Configure/File Operations/External Copy handlers.

brianok:
 ;) :(Supercopier can be configured to have defaults as you need.
So should be Teracopy, but I didn't try the second one.
-eleman (March 03, 2014, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
I used Supercopier 2b for years and appreciated that feature. I think version 3 is the one to get, and it works fine in Win 8 64-bit and older. Someone new took it over in version 4, and is merging it into UltraCopier I think; I believe the licensing changed as well as the interface.
-x16wda (March 03, 2014, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

brianok:
 :up:The best solution for your problem is to use Long Path Tool!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version