ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software longevity

<< < (4/5) > >>

app103:
But is any kiddie hacker old enough to remember them?  :)
-MilesAhead (March 02, 2014, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am sure they will know about the more recent ones that also affect all of the older versions.

And some of them can be exploited by a kiddie that has long since grown up and moved on to more sensible things, but his innocent looking, specially crafted MP3 file is still floating around out there on P2P networks and download sites, or in your collection, just waiting for someone to play it. In software that isn't vulnerable, it will play ok, but maybe the text in one of the tags might look kind of weird (javascript). But in vulnerable software, look out! Buffer overflow and code execution time!

longrun:
The first program I ever bought was Tornado Notes (now Info Select). I believe it was in the 1980s and I have notes going back to at least 1990. I upgraded through v5 and have stuck with v5 since. I've also used Opera since v3 (and am sticking with v11.64).

Shades:
First, I do acknowledge security risks are introduced with installing old(er) software. However, in the WinAmp v1.91 case, there aren't that many attack vectors as it hardly does anything else than playing MP3's. What is not there...cannot be attacked.

40hz:
First, I do acknowledge security risks are introduced with installing old(er) software. However, in the WinAmp v1.91 case, there aren't that many attack vectors as it hardly does anything else than playing MP3's. What is not there...cannot be attacked.

-Shades (March 03, 2014, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shades raises an interesting point here. I sometimes suspect the constant upgrade/feature chase is just as big a source of security risk as so-called "outdated" versions of most software. And when some rush-to-get-it-out-new-features-bloated software in turn becomes outdated, the problem only gets further compounded.

TaoPhoenix:
-Shades (March 03, 2014, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shades raises an interesting point here. I sometimes suspect the constant upgrade/feature chase is just as big a source of security risk as so-called "outdated" versions of most software. And when some rush-to-get-it-out-new-features-bloated software in turn becomes outdated, the problem only gets further compounded.
-40hz (March 08, 2014, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

This might become one of the discussion themes of the year when official XP support dies in about a month. I am "one of many" who is mostly happy with my current config, but cue the fear when security updates are no longer available!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version