ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is there an AV App that Doesn't Eventually Become Bloatware?

<< < (6/8) > >>

Defenestration:
Kaspersky is nice as well, but has become a bit bloated, and the way it uses NTFS streams and rootkit-like method for hiding those streams is a bit icky :( (see sysinternals' rootkit revealer forums).
-f0dder (May 21, 2006, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
The new KAV/KIS version 6 does not use NTFS streams anymore (and so no rootkit method for hiding them). Has low memory usage and various options to optimize the scan (eg. only scan new and changed files), as well as an option to concede resources (ie. CPU)  to other apps during a scan which keeps the system running smoothly. It is truly modular, in that you only have to install the modules you actually want.

NOD32 uses more memory but is lighter on CPU.

Big problem with NOD32: it doesn't cache file status, so every time you boot your system, files have to be re-scanned, which makes first-launch of apps pretty slow (AMD64x2 4400+ here, and it *is* noticable >_<). Also, I haven't found a way to disable the background/instant file scanning that persists through reboots.
--- End quote ---
I'm sure there is an option to only scan new and changed files in NOD.

XMinus1 - It seems odd that you mention bloatware with regard to AV's, but yet use SpySweeper. From my experience, SpySweeper used massive amounts of memory (upwards of 40MB-50MB).

Darwin:
Hmmm.... I'm running SpySweeper right now and it's only using 15MB in the system tray (i.e. it's monitoring but not sweeping). A full sweep bumps that to 18MB and 1-3% CPU (I've just confirmed this on a first generation Centrino notebook  with 1024MB RAM).

Carol Haynes:
I have used SpySweeper and found it is pretty slow to start up the scanners but then seems to run quite well in use.

I have also used SpywareDoctor and that is even slower at starting and more demanding on resources.

Both are good programs but don't do what I did and try to use them at the same time - the system literally ground to a halt!

f0dder:
Big problem with NOD32: it doesn't cache file status, so every time you boot your system, files have to be re-scanned, which makes first-launch of apps pretty slow (AMD64x2 4400+ here, and it *is* noticable >_<). Also, I haven't found a way to disable the background/instant file scanning that persists through reboots.
--- End quote ---
I'm sure there is an option to only scan new and changed files in NOD.
-Defenestration (July 06, 2006, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not that I've seen... Sure, it doesn't re-scan files that aren't changed while you keep your computer running, but the "scanned files database" is in-memory and doesn't survive a reboot.

New KAV version sounds interesting, perhaps I should give it a go.

Defenestration:
Hmmm.... I'm running SpySweeper right now and it's only using 15MB in the system tray (i.e. it's monitoring but not sweeping). A full sweep bumps that to 18MB and 1-3% CPU (I've just confirmed this on a first generation Centrino notebook  with 1024MB RAM).
-Darwin (July 06, 2006, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
When determining memory usage of a process, you should be looking at both the "Mem Usage" and the "VM Size" columns in Task Manager.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version